Belize Aggressor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well before I can answer your question I'd like to know if you're headed out on the Aggressor 3 or 4 because the experience is rather different. Also I've never been on the 3. I was on the 4 a few months ago so I could probably give you a few of those insights you're looking for.

Which one III or IV? I think they both dive basically the same itinerary, but the boats are different. Depends on the info you're looking for. :)

It will be A3. The isights I am looking for is more about dives and sites. Realize A4 is a better ride but not sure how much difference.

It will be A3. The isights I am looking for is more about dives and sites. Realize A4 is a better ride but not sure how much difference.

The two boats run the same or very similar itinerary. During the week we were on the 4, we saw the 3 just about every day. Although the 3 made it to shore mid week and the divers were able to explore the island and the lighthouse and the wild bird sanctuary which we were looking forward to do as a break from being on the ship but we never made it for reasons that were not clear. Something about the Park Rangers not being available to shuttle us to shore or something like that.

The dive sites are better at the Lighthouse Atoll further from the mainland. The closer Turneffe Atoll that we dived on the way back wasn't very impressive. Of course the Blue Hole is scheduled on every weekly trip, it's one of those "do it once, got the T-shirt" sort of things. Several divers who had done the Blue Hole before skipped it and elected to do the alternate dive which was to swim around in the shallows at the perimeter of the Blue Hole and they found it disappointing, seeing absolutely no marine life. Most sites you will find the boat is anchored in the sand and you've got a short to medium swim until you hit the coral and rock formations that indicate you're approaching the wall. You can spend your dive on top of the reef, diving in the channels and swim throughs that bring you out and over the wall. Not much to see once you go deeper than say 50' so I wouldn't even bother unless there's a shark or a ray down there.

Pretty much what @caruso said. I found the wall dives nice, but I like wall dives. I found lots of life on the walls and some nice "Caribbean into the blue" swim-throughs that pop out of the wall at 90+ ft. if you like them (I do). The week we did the blue hole, the other divers found plenty of life around the perimeter. Probably a day to day thing like lots of dive sites. All in all Lighthouse reef/atoll was very nice Caribbean diving. Hopefully weather will allow your itinerary to spend the bulk if not all of your time there. I was on the IV last May, but I'm sure the III will be a nice ride. Have fun. If you have an evening in Belize City, you might try the Celebrity restaurant within walking distance of the Radisson Ft. George. It was a nice change of pace. All IMHO, YMMV. :)

you can find a fair amount of discussion of the Belize boats in these recent threads -

Another "Which Aggressor?" recommendation
Aggressor liveaboard or Itza/Huracan?
^^These threads^^. And try your google-foo against scubaboard and you should also find additional threads.

We have been on the IV multiple times and have apparently been very lucky in that we have only dove Turneffe on Friday morning (Half Moon & Long Caye are better than Turneffe?).

From the feedback in other recent threads it appeared that the III regularly did more dives on Turneffe. I quickly skimmed the "captains logs" and it appeared that the III leaves Belize City very early Sunday morning and does morning dives on Turneffe before heading for afternoon dives at Half Moon / Long Cayes. In my experience the IV leaves Belize City Saturday and takes a very long time to reach Long & Half Moon Caye for Sunday morning dives. BUT I am wrong (lucky for me!). It seems that there is a random (weather?) pattern where either boat will do Sunday morning on Turneffe and then maybe Thursday afternoon back on Turneffe before 2 very early Friday morning dives.

I have conjectured that the change in itinerary is weather related. Maybe it is also related to boat speed? Is the III faster than the IV?

Maybe someone could ask the captain?

I've done the Blue Hole, Lighthouse Reef, and several dives on Turneffe. The Lighthouse reef dives were some of the best of my life outside of Indonesia. Sharks, rays, turtles, great viz, the works. I personally liked the Blue Hole and would do it again. I did see a pretty nice reef shark over the sand while waiting to get back in the boat that day. Turneffe is OK.

Maybe it is also related to boat speed? Is the III faster than the IV?
We toured the III after one our trips on the IV and were told the III was indeed faster than the IV, though not by enough they felt it mattered to anything. Like 11 vs 12 knots?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom