Belize Aggressor III Captain's Logs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aggressor Adventures

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Reaction score
Crew: Yannis, Francisco, Fermin, Jody, William. Piers
Visibility: 70 to 100 feet
Seas: 1 to 2 foot chop at the most
Water Temp: 77 to 78F

This week we welcomed aboard Curtis, Marcie, Ronald, Chad, Michelle, William, Shirley, Michael, Ryan, Katchen, William, Phil, Jon, Philip, Gheorghe, Gabriela, Alex and Jennifer.

Saturday started the week with a little “mud” issue at the dock but with the tides turning in our favor we made it out to Sandy Slope on Saturday night to start the dives at Turneffe. Then we crossed to Lighthouse Reef as the last of the cold front left us with the winds going back to the east, as it should be.

Great dives all week long - and the Blue Hole dive was as perfect as could be.

Flat calm conditions on Lighthouse Reef with Ron filming a billfish off the wall as it passed. I might not have believed him, but he has the video to prove it. Turtles, scorpionfish, toadfish and both green and spotted moray eels were in abundance this week. The night dives were perfect with squid, octopus and turtles almost every night dive with the surface conditions mixed with the moon and light winds.

Our fishing story of the week was not “what you catch” but “which crewmember was with you” when the trade happens for the deep-water red snappers - which was made from the local fishermen. So well done William for a great trade, but a bad story from the fishermen ………. I can’t even begin to explain how you catch a deep-water snapper trawling but they gave it a good try - Alex and Phil that is.

Congratulations to Jon on his birthday this week.

Jody was all out with teaching SSI courses this week with seven total taught. Congrats to all on their Nitrox and Advanced Open Water certifications. Also, a great video of the week’s charter from William. Fermin once again did a fantastic job on the photos this week (his second time at it) and the galley staff served a wide, delicious variety of meals for all.

Capt Piers

Weather: Excellent w/ clear skies
Winds: Moderate 10-15KT
Water Temperature: 79 degrees
Wetsuit: 3-5mm recommended
Crew: Capt. Jay, Engineer Fermin, Instructor Jody, Instructor Chris, Chef Ana, Steward Francisco

Saturday:
We boarded 18 guests from Skin ‘n Scuba dive shop in Kansas, including 13 year old Peter, who had never done an ocean dive. After getting dive gear set up, everyone gathered for Captain Jay’s Welcome Aboard and Safety briefings. Chef Ana prepared another world-class meal for dinner, and after desert we hung out and relaxed before motoring out to Turneffe Atoll.

On Sunday we made the First dive of the week at Sandy Slope on Turneffe Atoll, where we stayed for the morning. This was Peter’s first ocean dive and he did GREAT!!! He was greeted by a beautiful spotted eagle ray swimming gracefully along the reef. Of course he did both dives at Sandy Slope. He also swam with a little hawksbill turtle; saw spiny lobsters, a pair of flounder, neck crab, a pair of juvenile spotted drums, small southern stingray, a spotted moray and huge barracuda. Everyone on board was proud of our newest diver. After 2 dives at Sandy Slope, still at Turneffe, we headed to Triple Anchor North to do 2 afternoon dives and the night dive to finish off the day of diving. Triple Anchor North was a shallow dive with scattered coral heads that seems to be a playground for juvenile reef fish.

In the evening we motored over to Lighthouse Atoll and Monday morning began even more incredible diving. Sharks, eagle rays, giant green morays, the Blue Hole and plenty of huge barrel sponges were some of the encounters by the divers. During the night dives we saw several octopus, spotted morays, basket stars, squid and dozens of white speckled nudibranchs.

Well, Friday came very quickly. We motored back to Belize City and most of the group went Cave Tubing in the jungle of Belize for the afternoon. While a few stayed behind and packed up photo gear and just relaxed until our cocktail party at 6PM.

Thanks for a special week Skin ‘n Scuba! We hope to see you next year for another great adventure.

Your Crew

How experienced of a scuba diver do I need to be to dive on the Aggressor trip to Belize? I know that Galapagos is for more advanced divers. Do you honor PADI certifications? I know that Aggressor uses SSI certifications. Thanks and hope to dive with you sometime in the future.

How experienced of a scuba diver do I need to be to dive on the Aggressor trip to Belize? I know that Galapagos is for more advanced divers. Do you honor PADI certifications? I know that Aggressor uses SSI certifications. Thanks and hope to dive with you sometime in the future.

PADI certifications are good anywhere in the world, it is the largest certification agency.

As far as whether the Belize liveaboards would be good for beginners... I haven't done them, but I can say that from personal experience, all Caribbean liveaboards are suitable for all skill levels. There may be a dive or two that are best for more advanced divers, but you will be briefed on those and make your own decision.

IMHO - liveaboards are a great way for new divers to get more experience at a faster rate due to the fact you are doing 4-5 dives per day. Your skill level will vastly improve day to day. Plus you have the option of doing more classes while onboard, which is always a good idea for newbies.

just my 2 cents.
robin

I have done this trip 3 times. Not on Aggressor, but two on Nekton (no longer in business) and once on the Dancer boat. They all do the same dive sites - mostly in sight of each other. Beginner divers would have no problems diving on all but a couple of dives. Blue Hole (if on the itinerary) is very deep, but very sheltered. Some of the walls have no bottom, but you can dive on the inner portion of the reef, see everything and have a hard bottom at 60 feet or less. A good liveaboard for new divers IMHO.

We are going on the Aggressor III in April, I have wondered how am going to feel the first time there is no bottom.

Belize Aggressor III Captain's report Feb 4 - 11, 2012
Weather: Excellent w/ clear skies
Winds: Moderate 0-10KT
Water Temperature: 79 degrees

Crew: Capt. Jay, Instructor Jody, Instructor William, Instructor Chris, Chef Yanis, Stewardess Jean

On Saturday we boarded 17 guests from Canada and the USA. After getting dive gear set up, everyone gathered for the ‘Welcome Aboard’ and ‘Safety’ briefings. Chef Yanis and Jean whipped up a sensational dinner. We then departed for Turneffe Islands Atoll for the evening.

On Sunday we awoke to a breath-taking sunrise on Sandy Slope and jumped off the back swim platform to start the week. Several lobster (one extremely large), lion fish, 3 slender file fish, 2 pairs of spotted drums, flamingo tongues, a huge green moray, and two yellow headed jawfish with eggs in their mouths were all seen during the dives.

With the weather perfect, seas calm, and visibility over 100+, we decided to stay on Turneffe for another day. We checked out the Elbow and Grand Bogue. Awesome diving at both sites. We encountered neck crabs, white spotted toadfish, octopus, eagle rays, turtles, and even some dolphins jumping our wake in between dive sites.

For Tuesday we found ourselves on Lighthouse Atoll splashing in at Half Moon Caye Wall and Silver Caves. Beautiful divesites and dive masters Chris, William, and Jody showed all the guests a good time. Three pike blennies were found with mouths open and sails raised high for some fantastic photos (see photo).

The fun continued all week and the weather was absolutely spectacular. We did have a brief shower on Wednesday morning, but the skies cleared quickly and the sun showed off again. The night dives had too many critters to count. Cool decorator crabs, slipper lobster, Spanish lobster, spiny lobster, octopus, large basket stars, tarpon and a plethora of white speckled nudibranchs all ready to have photos and video taken.

Thursday we dove the Blue Hole, which dive guest Sam said was “The Dive of the Century”. We finished off the day on Dos Cocos, then motored back to Turneffe Islands to complete the week of diving (27 dives in all)!

Friday was an awesome finish. We dove Front Porch with 5 eagle rays, a couple large green morays, a white spotted toadfish posing perfectly for the cameras and a few slender filefish. Once arriving port the guests relaxed until our cocktail party. For dinner we ate at my favorite restaurant “The Tavern”. Incredible hamburgers, appetizers, and cold drinks!

Well, it happened again - the week flew by and we said our good byes to more happy divers. Thank you all for joining us in Beautiful Belize. Hope to see you all again in Belize or on another Aggressor yacht.

As always, keep smiling and keep diving!

Eat, Sleep & Dive

Captain Jay Roberts

Charter Date: Feb 11-18, 2012
Weather: Moderate w/ clear skies
Winds: Moderate 15-25KT
Water Temperature: 78 degrees

Crew: Capt. Jay, Instructor Jody, Instructor William, Instructor Chris, Chef Yanis, Steward Randy

On Saturday we welcomed 13 guests from Canada, Germany, UK, and the USA. Seth, Neela, Janet, and Jim were familiar faces from past Aggressor and Dancer trips in Belize and Utila. Everyone set up dive gear and relaxed until our safety briefing. Dinner was served up and we waited for some weather to pass before heading out to sea. The crossing was a bit rougher than normal, but average for this time of year. A strong North wind blew in and we moored up on the Southeast side of Turneffe Islands Atoll for the night.

Sunday morning after breakfast we motored over to Lighthouse Reef Atoll for better visibility and protection from the wind and waves. We made our checkout dive on Julie’s Jungle and then finished off the afternoon and night dive at Half Moon Caye Wall. Great dives despite the weather. Neck crabs, wire coral shrimp, spotted morays, scrawled filefish, a long snout seahorse, octopus, and those big blue parrot fish were all seen during the dives.

Monday the weather broke and the sun smiled down on all the divers. The rest of the week of diving was incredible. Caribbean reef sharks, friendly groupers, southern stingrays, thousands of silver sides and of course we dove the Blue Hole and witnessed those magnificent stalactites at 130 feet. A few guests went for a walk on Half Moon Caye to bird watch, while the others went for another dive.

We finished off the week at Sandy Slope on Turneffe Islands Atoll. The last dive a squadron of spotted eagle rays glided past the divers and a happy hawks bill turtle followed suit. The lobster knew the season was over, because they were all out walking around the reef.

This week we had guest Suzanne “whom never been diving before” decide to get certified on board! Jody took her under his wing - she was a natural. She completed all her requirements in record time and finished by Wednesday. Neela also took part in an Advanced Openwater Course - glad you found that chicken! James decided on Thursday to take a Nitrox Course, which he easily completed in one day. So, to all those who started or continued their diving education - Congratulations!!!

Once arriving port a few guests went cave tubing while the others relaxed until our cocktail party. For dinner we ate at my favorite restaurant “The Tavern”.

The week flew by and we said our good byes to more happy divers. Thank you all for joining us in Beautiful Belize. Hope to see you all again in Belize or on another Aggressor yacht.

Eat, Sleep & Dive

Captain Jay Roberts

Belize Aggressor III

Log Date: Saturday, Feb 25, 2012
Belize Aggressor III Captain's report Feb 18 - 25, 2012
Weather: Moderate w/ clear skies
Winds: Moderate 10-20KT
Water Temperature: 78 degrees

Crew: Capt. Jay, Engineer Fermin, Instructor William, Instructor Chris, Chef Anna, Steward Randy

Saturday we welcomed 13 guests from Canada and the USA. After check in and scuba gear setup, I gave the safety briefing. Dinner was served up by Chef Anna and Steward Randy.

On Sunday we started the week of diving on Turneffe Islands Atoll at Sandy Slope. A juvenile drum, hawks bill turtle, giant green moray and a sargassum trigger fish were seen. For the evening we motored over to Lighthouse Reef Atoll.

Monday we checked out Julies’ Jungle and Cathedral. Great dives with neck crabs, barracuda, scorpion fish, tarpon, 2 spotted eagle rays mating and a friendly turtle. Guests Madi, Ben, and Connor started their Advanced Open Water course. They made deep dives, ran compass headings around the dive sites, checked out what night diving was all about, made different types of entries from the boat and skiff, made a successful search and recovery of our resident chicken aka “CANO” (see photo) and scooted around the reef on the DPV’s (see photos). Connor and his mother Sonya also became certified as Enriched Air Nitrox divers.

Tuesday we went to the Blue Hole and then over to Half Moon Caye for a barbecue. In the afternoon we motored over to Long Caye Wall. Beautiful dive site with very healthy soft corals in every direction.

Wednesday morning we motored over to Half Moon Caye Wall. Chris found a great pipe seahorse in the grass and several spotted eagle rays were seen cruising the wall. For the afternoon and the rest of the week, we hung out on Long Caye and continued the great diving.

Friday we completed two morning dives on Turneffe Islands, but before heading back to Belize City we had an “Aggressor Cake Party” on the back dive deck. David completed his 700th dive during the week! Lesley and Paul completed their 100th dive! Once arriving port a few guests went cave tubing while the others relaxed until our cocktail party and photo slide show. For dinner some guests walked over to the Smokey Mermaid.

The week went extremely fast. Saturday morning we said our good byes and prepared for our next week of divers. Thank you all for joining us in Beautiful Belize. Hope to see you all again in Belize or on another Aggressor yacht.

Eat, Sleep & Dive

Captain Jay Roberts

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom