Belize Aggressor dive limits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chillyinCanada

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
How long is allotted for the individual Aggressor dives (not including Blue Hole). My my friend is concerned that dives will only be 40 minutes each, rather than 50-60 minutes

60 minutes-ish. Still plenty of time for 5 dives per day.

Thank you. I figured as much but without personal experience in a Belize Aggressor, I didn't want to say so.

Been a few years since I was on the Sun Dancer 2 (since renamed Belize Aggressor IV); have been on Cayman Aggressor IV and Turks & Caicos Aggressor II. IIRC, the pattern on the Belize trip, and it seemed to be fairly common, goes something like this:

1.) A guide leads a group dive. You and a buddy are free to dive as an independent buddy pair if you wish.

2.) Guide brings the group back to the boat roughly around 45 minutes or so. If you want to mill around, sit on the 15 foot hang bar and look around while running up your bottom time, etc..., you can.

The guide has to plan around getting back to the boat with the highest gas consumption diver not running out of gas, and most divers are diving 80-cf AL tanks. I doubt anyone's going to kick your friend out of the ocean at the 40 minute mark, but if using the guide, the main 'reef roam' might last close to that. But there are things to see near the boat, or while at the hang bar. Note: The Belize Aggressor III and IV look considerably different.

Anyone else been more recently and recall a different experience?

Sounds about right, @drrich2 . Unless there was something specific to see at a site, my wife and I did our own thing. In 2018 on the BA IV our longest dive was 78 min with a couple of other 70+ and all of our other dives (other than blue hole) were at least 60 min +/-.

I was just on the Roatan Aggressor and the dm brought the group back at 45 min, you were free to stay down if you had air/time left. This was the 1st trip i beat my wifes air consumption.. 400 and 500 psi, not sure why lol

I've been on BAIV 3 times, last in 2018. All our dives (doing our own thing) were 70 min plus. One shallow excursion into the grass was 90 min - if you're gonna do that let somebody know and they will say yea/nay. 2nd dive is nay - usually move the boat during lunch and an extended dive holds things up

I’ve only been on BA4, not BA3. But I’ve never been on any liveaboard that limited dives to 40 min unless there was some particular special reason. Sometimes they might suggest something around 60 for some reason. I think most people who patronize liveaboards won’t tolerate short dives for no good reason.

If you’re following a DM they might very well return to the boat around 40, but doesn't mean you have to.

Checked my log book from 2010. We did 23 dives on BA, the longest dive was 1:04, the shortest was 0:36. This was the dive before the Blue Hole, so maybe they rushed us up (I came up with 1,500 PSI). Most other dives were in the 50+ min range.

Do they have maximum depth limits as I read somewhere about some liveaboards having a max 100 ft depth. Also many are using Nitrox32 so that adds is s safety factor. I read that crew will check your dive computer log every dive completed.

Back
Top Bottom