Beilze or Costa Rica?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gilbertaz

Registered
Reaction score
Looking for advice for the best location to travel to to get 2-3 easy dive days(for newbies) and decent food and topside activity. Any suggestions?

Amberguis Caye, Belize has very conveinient diving. We were there for a few days last summer and stayed at Ramon's village. Great dive operation. Most dives are withing a 5 min. boat ride and they have several boats that leave from the dock all day long. The diving is good. The reefs look damaged from hurricanes and over fishing, however, a new diver may be very happy with it.
If you want better diving, spend some money and go to the outer cayes.
Turneffe had some of the healthiest reefs I have seen anywhere. They do day trips out of Ramon's if they get enought folks to do it. It is a long, beautiful boat ride.....
If it is a choice between Costa Rica or Belize based on diving, then , I would choose Belize.
If it is a choice based on all around acitivities, then I would choose Costa Rica. Haven't dove there, but, it is my favorite spot on the planet for everything else. It takes a lot of time to see it , though.
Hope this helps....
Danny

Im still trying to get the question answered about WHERE is the best vis for Diving? Not between these 2 necessarily but in general.

If you are asking for the best vis between Belize or Costa Rica, then , definately Belize. I understand the vis in Costa Rica is inconsistant at best...
If you are only doing a few days, then I would try Amberguis Caye...It has good diving, great food, decent nightlife, and lots of lodging and dive operations to choose from.....
Does that help?

Have you considered Cozumel?

dashark:
If you are asking for the best vis between Belize or Costa Rica, then , definately Belize. I understand the vis in Costa Rica is inconsistant at best...
If you are only doing a few days, then I would try Amberguis Caye...It has good diving, great food, decent nightlife, and lots of lodging and dive operations to choose from.....
Does that help?

I was asking in GENERAL, where is the best vis. I know Belize is going to be better than CR. But where is the best vis supposedly out of anyplace.

Cayman Islands, perhaps.....I'm sure there are many opinions about that question, although not many would argue against the Caymans.

scrapdizzy:
I was asking in GENERAL, where is the best vis. I know Belize is going to be better than CR. But where is the best vis supposedly out of anyplace.
Cayman Islands, Bonaire, some of the Bahamas out islands(Abaco, Exuma etc.) Anywhere there's no run-off from the island, sewage, fertilizer etc. I've also heard Turks/Caicos can be unusually good. Although I read here that Bonaire was unusually cloudy this summer. The clearest I've ever seen was Cayman, from 90' I could clearly read the Scubapro "S" on the safety stop reg hanging off the boat.

Maui also has it's share of good days, I've been out at the Lanai backside where it had to exceed 100-120' horizontally.
And Niihau - from Kauai is supposed to be amazing - at certain times of the year they say the visibility is unlimited...

sjspeck:
Maui also has it's share of good days, I've been out at the Lanai backside where it had to exceed 100-120' horizontally.

See I felt the same way. Maui impressed the heck out of me. Our first day there the vis had to be at least 100ft. It was so beautiful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom