Beginning to understand why people dive solo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PA/NJdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Unfortunately, after yesterday's dive, I'm beginning to understand why some people prefer to solo dive. My regular dive buddy is in Florida with a class (I wasn't happy about being left behind, but since it's 90 + and he's wearing a drysuit, it makes me feel a bit better:D ).

There were going to be several of us doing this dive. One buddy team of two and another team of three. Two backed out -- one because of weight problems and the other because viz was bad. It's not a big dive - only 21 feet max at high tide but some current and usually low viz, but it has so much life.

I went with two other guys. The current was still a little strong but not bad. Somewhere along the way, one of the guys decided to go along his own merry way. I had no idea where he was. I started thinking next time my regular buddy isn't around, dive alone. I can take care of myself in 21 feet of water and current. No need to worry about anyone else. The other guy was right next to me all the time, and we had a good time looking for bottles, etc. The other guy did eventually meet up with us, but it was still frustrating not knowing where he was especially since on the other side of the bridge there can be some boat traffic. I definetly believe in buddy diving, even on this dive, but after yesterday, I don't think so.

It made me really appreciate my regular dive buddy. It sure is great when your buddy is on the same level and thought process as you are. We just have to look at each other, and we know what we are thinking.

Enough ranting.

Stacey

I know you're ranting over the frustration you felt -- just a few questions:

Did you do a dive plan before hitting the water?
In particular did you discuss how you were going to dive (acceptable separation distance)?
Did you discuss what you would do if you "lost" a buddy? Typically it's look for a minute then surface....

I'm sure you do feel 'somewhat' better for being left behind if your regular buddy has to dive in a drysuit in Florida.

A DRY SUIT IN FLORIDA! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
are you kidding me you break a sweat when you walk to your car down here.
Yesterday with the humididty it felt like 105 degrees+ and the water is bath temp or hotter. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA well I can give you this he will be miserable absoultly miserable. You look like you already got in the water when you only stood on the bow of the ship b/c of all the sweating and that's without a dry suit.

Yes, we did have a dive plan, but it wasn't quite followed.

I'm glad to hear it's so hot in Florida. He's wearing a drysuit because he's doing checkout dives at Ginnie.

Stacey

jtl01 - What's up?! I'm a newbie, & it's cool to see someone else from St. Auggie on this bd. Yeah, it's been down right HOT last coupla weeks. That's ok, when it's 4:00, and I'm covered with sweat and sawdust, in my mind, I'm 50' down and chasing a snapper!:deadfish: :lol: I'm taking the OW 6/21 @ SeaHunt. Been hitting the books & videos purty hard. I scarfed my equipment last Sat. @ the sale. I am SO stoked! Will be doing Ginnie/Manatee 6/29-30. Come on over! Maybe we can buddy up sometime. Good luck, & dive safe! :phat:

Getting paired with an unfamiliar buddy is the pitts, especially when each diver has a different goal..

One person may want to just cruise while another is taking photos.. If Im the cruiser I'd feel like I was getting robbed by being paired up with this "buddy" who probably doesn't know I exist... Many times I'm the photo guy so I usually don't get my self paired with another diver and just stick in the general area of others (most dive operators will allow this once they have seen you in the water and aren't too pushy assuming you aren't a danger to yourself).. I make sure I always have bailout options available..
When I dive my CCR and if I don't have another CCR diver available I don't want a buddy, I'll carry everything I need to save my a**, OC divers ruin the CCR experience, but if you can get another CCRer with you its great...Long quiet dives...

I also do spearfishing alot, this definately is not a buddy dive, another diver can definately limit the hunt or be competition for the same prize.. again most of Us dive in a general area so, you wount have the immediate help of a buddy but if you have enough redundancy to cover the IMMEDIATE problem at hand you know someone will be around shortly..

I took a rescue/search & recovery/master-diver class this summer with a great group of divers. One, however lacked all concept of buddyness. A brainy guy, he stared at his digital compass, watching the numbers race & bumped his head on rocks. He kicked fast & outran winded partners who were forced to fend for themselves. In the pool, his reg started freeflowing so he surfaced, dragging me by a BC tangled on my neck & proceeded to use me as a floatation device while he expounded to the instructor. He paid little attention to other divers' gear, & once swam out far in one of his own huge rubber fins & one of another diver's plastic ballerina-size fins. I still can't figure out how he got it on!

His insensitivity must have originated from his long-time solo spearfishing hobby. He was not interested in learning anything new, just proving what a proficient diver he already was & walking away with some more credentials. I don't meet many of these. He really is a guy who belongs in the water all alone. I am not the "solo type, " and would rather skip a dive or get in a group than dive alone. Nonetheless, It is better to have NO buddy than a buddy you can't count on.

Sometimes it is just better not to dive that to be put at risk....
Rule number one was brought home forcefully to me recently....
I keep formulating responses to this thread and deleting them....
Well... best bet is to develop dive partners and stick with them....

Originally posted by Uncle Pug
Sometimes it is just better not to dive that to be put at risk....
Rule number one was brought home forcefully to me recently....
I keep formulating responses to this thread and deleting them....
Well... best bet is to develop dive partners and stick with them....

I couldn't agree more.. get to knwo a buddy and stcik with him/her.. but unfortunately this is not always the case especially when you travel..

I think we can reach a concensus here that our basic training is failing to teach good buddy skills. You cannot expect a person to perform any task in a particular manner unless they are trained to do so.

We have all spent dives chasing after a buddy or being chased, were you ever taught how to find a pace suitable for you both?

We have all spent dives with a buddy that never looked our way, were you taught to systematically glance check the position of your buddy as part of the breathing cycle?

When you consider that each buddy is carrying the others emergency alternative air supply, what kind of distance and position were you taught to maintain?

Regarding your dive plan is it speciific in direction or just follow the leader, relying on someone else knowing where you are and how to find the way?

Systematically how often should you exchange
the OK signal and check each others air pressure?

With regards to my buddy procedure questions, my training agency has no set standards at this time.

Back
Top Bottom