Beginning photography- camera questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cinder4320

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am interested in beginning UW photography and have lots of questions. I've tried searching the archives but became even more confused. I am looking for a camera and think I would like digital.
I have thought about getting on of the cheapos under $100 and playing around with it for a while. Then I got smart and decided I probably shouldn't waste the hundred when I could put it towards a better camera that will last me longer. I do not want extremely expensive though until I know what I am doing. I've heard that external flash is best. I plan to take amateur pictures of divers, and some sea life but no up close pictures yet. Mostly just to show to non divers and family and to have as keepsakes. Is there a good priced camera that I could add on to later(lenses, etc)?
Sorry for all the questions but all of the archive hits I got were for very experienced photographers. If anyone has links to old threads Id be willing to read them! I'm going on a Blackbeard's liveaboard in Feb. and would like to be able to take some pictures then!

Miranda

I still vote for the Canon A series. There are several out there in various MP and prices.

They have manufacturer housings available and you can add macro & WA lenses later as well as strobes.

They have manual functions and a good range of program modes to get you started and to let you grow. They have a good video feature, too.

There are also other cameras out there that may suit - Olympus has the stylus range, Pentax has the Optio (though I do not think they allow manual control of your aperture and shutter) and Fuji has some nice options, too.

I don't think you can go too far wrong with any of the major players if they also have a housing available. There are few real duds out there.

The most important thing is to find the features that suit you, that let you grow a little and then learn to use the camera to the best of its abilities.

Take a look at the new Sea & Sea DX750G camera and housing package. It is retailing for $499. The picture quality is fantastic, you get a nice strobe package for it (YS15 Auto) and the macro capabilities are great as well. Being a less expensive than the DX8000, I have been very surprised with it. For entry level cameras, this is a fantastic camera!

Hi,

There are dozens of links on what camera's to purchase on scubaboard. If you believe that most discussions here are *advanced* then maybe the issue is that you need a bit more knowledge, as most discussions here rarely go beyond basics. :wink:

I assume you are completely new to not just UW photography, but photograpy as well.

The best way to learn photography is by taking a class. This is may not be the popular method, as most believe that just by owning a camera, one is a photgrapher. They are to some degree correct. :11:

Until you understand how a camera works, it's difficult to determine what features are important to you. Some are happy with idiot proof (so to speak) camera's. These have little or no control over the primary things that control the exposure (aperture, shutter, and ISO), IOW's the camera makes the decisions for you. Unfortunately as good as technology is, the camera does not always make good decisions, and reflective meters are rather easily fooled.

If you want to just have us tell you what to buy, provide a budget, and you will get some suggestions.

Many start out by shooting, and then later learning what they want. There is nothing wrong with that, but you may spend more money in the long term. Fortunately a LOT of digitals have a lot of features and manual controls, so if you purchase, there is a reasonable chance the camera will grow with your abilities, at least for a while.

RonFrank:
Hi,

Some are happy with idiot proof (so to speak) camera's. These have little or no control over the primary things that control the exposure (aperture, shutter, and ISO), IOW's the camera makes the decisions for you. Unfortunately as good as technology is, the camera does not always make good decisions, and reflective meters are rather easily fooled.

As Ron points out, for underwater use, you do not want a camera that makes decisions for you. The reason for this is because those cameras were calibrated to capture images in air, not water.

Water filters light differently than air. In order to compensate for those differences, Ron's advise for the user to control aperture, shutter speed, and ISO is paramount. this is very important if you wish to control motion blur and background exposure of your images.

If you wish to capture any image that show vibrant colors beyond the capability of the onboard flash (the onboard flash is capable of illuminating a composition up to a couple of feet of distance from strobe to subject), a more powerful external strobe should also be worth consideration. But keep in mind that no underwater strobe is capable of delivering the colors we're accustommed to beyond approximately 5 feet from strobe to subject. Reason is that the light emanating from the strobe has to travel twice that distance to complete the journey from strobe to subject and reflect back through the lens. Once the light traveled those ten feet, water will have begun absorbing the warmer colors such as red and orange.

Thanks for the help. I have had basic photography a long time ago but obviously am "relearning" everything. I hope to take an underwater photog. class but am first concentrating on getting a few more dive classes in. I'll be on a liveaboard in Feb. though and don't want to miss out on getting a few shots just because I haven't had my class. Your responses and the archives have helped.
I am looking for a camera that will allow me to add to it (lenses, eternal flash), is not horribly slow, and is around or under $500.

Miranda

cinder4320:
obviously am "relearning" everything.
Miranda

One of the truly great things about digital is that you can practice, practice, practice...and it doesn't cost you a cent. I have spent countless hours in my backyard shooting bugs with a 105mm lens. You get a great feel for what changing the aperture and / or shutter speed does to your pics.

Dave

Hi Miranda

welcome to UW photography.

OLympus, Canon, and Sea&Sea make some nice entry level camera/housing sets. OR you may consider looking at getting a second hand Olympus 5050 package. that is a very nice camera and many folks may be looking at upgrading to one of the newer models.

anyway, there is a lot to learn, but do not lose faith. A class will help as well as a good book on basic UW photography such as Jim Church's Nikonos guides. otherwise the best way to learn is shoot!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom