Beginning diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

earlgrimm

Registered
Reaction score
looking to take a class and for the dives need gear.
Mask
Fins
snorkel

Should I start with a basic affordable well reviewed fin like this then see?

Oceanic Viper Open Heel Fins

Also will be getting gear for my wife.

Any gender specific suggestions?

Any other must haves for a basic start?

Earl

Should I start with a basic affordable well reviewed fin like this then see?
Oceanic Viper Open Heel Fins

This will depend a great deal on your (1) Budget, (2) Location and (3) Personal Requirements.

There is a wide range of basic, no-frills, fins on the market that serve the basic purpose of providing effective motion to scuba divers and snorkellers.

I think the Mares X3 or Quattro is an excellent all-round fin, suitable for beginners.

There are also high-end fins that offer particular benefits in terms of power, efficiency, ease of use and manoeuvrability.

Examples of these are:
Scubapro Jetfins ( + power, dexterity, ruggedness / - weight, effort)
Scubapro Splitfins (+speed, effort / - dexterity, ruggedness)
Force Fins (+ efficiency, easy, effort, ruggedness / - power)

Masks are a critical purchase. An ill-fitting, leaky mask will ruin your dives and considerably raise your stress/anxiety levels.

Have a seach of the forum, because there have been some really informative threads on mask selection recently.

Also will be getting gear for my wife.
Any gender specific suggestions?

When it comes time to buy a BCD and wetsuit, there are specific models that are cut/designed for women. These are worth investigating.

Many brands also offer their products in colors/designs that may be appreciated by female divers.

For example, the MARES She-Dives range

Any other must haves for a basic start?

If possible, it makes sense to amass some experience before making any major purchasing decisions. More experience equals more knowledge on what your personal requirements will be.

As you progress in experience, research the market and see what is available. Try out different kit whenever you get the opportunity.

Be aware that the rental equipment you will most likely be using for your training, equates to (typically) the low-end of the market. Your ideal choice of purchase equipment should not be an attempt to replicate the kit you use for training.

Also be aware that your dive instructor/school has a vested interest in selling equipment to you. That doesn't mean you shouldn't buy from them.... but do some independent research before making a decision (exactly as you are doing here and now on the forum).

Don't believe the cynics who say that all/most dive instructors/schools will sell you the wrong, or most expensive, equipment just to make a profit... but be aware that there are some bad apples in the industry. Having said that, always remember that your instructor needs money to put food on the table... if you respect and trust them, then please repay good service by being a loyal customer.

Lastly, try to predict what your long-term diving needs will be...and choose your equipment accordingly. Obviously, this is difficult during your initial stages in learning to dive. Many divers end up completely replacing their equipment within a year or two of making their initial purchases. They lose money. Hence my advice to hold off with big purchases until you can really identify your current and future requirements.

Good notes already.

But I would have you look at the Apollo Bio-fins. I'm use JetFin Max but am switching to the Bio-Fins. The are just much better.

The mask is also important for a good fit. The last thing you want to do is keep clearing your mask.

Go dive and have fun.

Here is some mask info that may be helpful.

Snorkel: Anything will do here. If you are going to be in the ocean and think you may also enjoy some time skin-diving on the surface a dry snorkel may make that more enjoyable but it is not needed. You will be required to dive with a snorkel during training and skin-diving should be part of your course. Expect to pay $25. , give or take $10. for your snorkel.

Modern full feature snorkels seem to have a collection of features.....

PURGE VALVE: It is a little cage valve much like a regulator exhaust valve. The intent is to let you expel a lot of the water without pushing it up. In practice they can allow annoying leaks, are susceptible to sand and needless with decent technique. If you get one be sure that the valve is sheltered in some sort of vented cavity. If it's right out there surge or a quick head movement can open it and water will enter while you surface swim.

FLEX HOSE: A pliable hose connecting the vertical tube to the mouthpiece section. It's a nice idea and can add to comfort making the fit almost universal. Many of these hoses are very supple and are just held on with a mating ring and groove design. In surf or otherwise they can come apart. Add a tie wrap to each connection, just like the mounting of a regulator mouthpiece. Do the mouthpiece the same way for the same reason. This feature is hardly a "must have" but with a few tie wraps is harmless.

SPLASHGUARD: This is can be simple or incorporated into a dry valve. The design is meant to keep water from splashing over the top and down the tube. It's usually a series of baffles that help the snorkel shed water. With good technique you can clear water all you want. If you are skin-diving on moderate seas this can be nice to have. Regardless of technique blowing salt water to clear the snorkel gets old after a while, especially in salt water. For short surface swims on scuba dives it's no big deal.

DRY VALVE: Often incorporated into the splashguard this gadget means to keep water from entering the tube. It usually incorporates some sort of floating member that will lift or tip a valve to close the opening. If you are fit enough to dive down, you don't need this thing. If you go down and do a barrel roll many can be fooled into opening. The trapped air volume in the tube does weird stuff if you dive deep. Some of the valves will erratically close in a good breeze, denying you air. When they work they are kind of nice but the have too many downsides to be really desirable.

Fins, Open heel with booties. Don't cheap out on fins. Spring straps are a nice feature but are usually an accessory add-on. If you are not already power swimmers consider a fin with some relief like an Aeris Velocity. Splits are an option and you can read plenty of hyperbole about that by searching that forum.

Pete

I think the most important thing is that women need pink gear.:rofl3:

Not really.

The most important thing is fit. Go to a shop and try on masks.

Ignore the strap.
Set the mask on your face gently. It is not a suction cup, don't treat it like one.:no:
Look into a mirror and make sure that the inner seal is contacting skin all the way around, and is not running through eyebrows or inside eye sockets.
Make sure your nose has plenty of room inside the nose pocket.
Make sure it is not hitting you between the eyes even a little.
If the mask does not fit, then you cannot make it fit by tightening the strap.
Do this with 2 masks.
Compare the 2. Keep the one that fits the best, disgard the other.
Add a new mask and then compare those 2. Keep the best fit, disgard the other.
Repeat until you have the one.
By limiting your choices to 2 at a time you make the decision process a whole lot easier and faster.

Then choose color with in that make and model. It does not affect your fit and should be last consideration.

The single most important piece of gear you will buy/own is you mask. With that said you obviously need one that fits. Snowflake is right on, but you need to be sure it seals good. You test this by first putting in on your face. Press it down a little and then inhale through your nose. Block off the back of your throat by making pressing your tongue against your palate. If the mask seals good it will stay on your face without the strap. Once you have a couple like that start to look at what and how well you see out of sides of the mask. You can put your hands at the sides of the mask to see how well light penetrates through the skirt or the side windows if you like that style. After those steps combined with snowflakes advice it is a matter of color and price. Lastly always be sure to store a mask in a container. The lenses are glass and will shatter if stepped on, have heavy gear put on them etc.

For fins there are 2 basic types of blades and 2 types of foot pockets. Split fins are less likely to cause you to cramp but generally have less "power" then non split fins. Foot pockets come full pockets or open pockets. Open pockets require some type of foot wear a neoprene sock or a boot and are usually better for colder water diving. Full pockets are like shoes. Here just like everything else trying stuff is really the way to go. Gear is expensive there is no really good way to know what will right for you without getting it wet, by trying stuff in the end you will be happier and less likely to replace stuff you don't like. Good shops will let you try the more expensive stuff like fins, BCDs before buying so don't hesitate to ask.

When buying gear for your wife, do not, I repeat, do not roll your eyes because she wants her gear to be functional *and* fashionable. :)

One of my first purchases was a wetsuit, though, because I didn't find a lot of variety among the rental wetsuits and I wanted one that didn't assume I was built like a man. Good wetsuit fit is important. Getting out of the pool or boat is not fun or easy when you have extra neoprene holding water at your ankles.

I don't think you need to buy a BC right off the bat. However, I also have the same complaint about rental BCs as I did with the wetsuits. Most are not really shaped to fit a woman. I'm much happier and more comfortable in the water with a girly BC, and not just because it's prettier (it *is* pink!).

When buying gear for your wife, do not, I repeat, do not roll your eyes because she wants her gear to be functional *and* fashionable. :)

One of my first purchases was a wetsuit, though, because I didn't find a lot of variety among the rental wetsuits and I wanted one that didn't assume I was built like a man. Good wetsuit fit is important. Getting out of the pool or boat is not fun or easy when you have extra neoprene holding water at your ankles.

I don't think you need to buy a BC right off the bat. However, I also have the same complaint about rental BCs as I did with the wetsuits. Most are not really shaped to fit a woman. I'm much happier and more comfortable in the water with a girly BC, and not just because it's prettier (it *is* pink!).

LOL No I am Better trained then that. We do a fair amount of hiking and she does so much better with ladies gear. And Yes it is Fashionable. :)

I think the most important thing is that women need pink gear.:rofl3:

There is a lot to day for a buddy being uniquely colorful and easy to spot and distinguish among divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom