Beginner's Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi all! I am not a diver yet but will be spending 3 months next year in the Galapagos Islands and I plan on getting SCUBA certified and doing lots of diving and snorkeling. I don't know much at all about photography, especially underwater photography, but since I will be in such a fabulous place, I would like my pictures to turn out as good as possible. I was wondering what sort of recommendations you all have for what sort of camera I should get. I am basically trying to decide between a housing for my Canon SD600 (~$175) and a reusable underwater film camera (~$50). Which of these will give me the best pictures for my money? Any tips you can give me to help make my decision easier will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

It will be easier to frame your subject with the digital, as you have the preview display.. it will be easier to do color correction on the digital photo as well..

Plus.. you wont be paying for developing on pictures that DONT turn out..

Here is a tutorial on this board regarding color correction using photoshop =) http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=167033

Oh... and be careful.. as a new diver you will have alot on your mind ... photography.. is something best left for after a few dozen dives at a minimum...

Becareful not to actually touch the coral... it dies easily.. and takes a long long long time to recover..

How many would like to have asked about taking pictures in the Galapogos Islands as a beginner!
You are lucky to get to start out there for sure, or so I have heard. I know a few people who have worked there and I hear it is amazing.
Scott had a good point though about diving being the important part of underwater photography. Hopefully you can get some dives in before you get there, I hear it can be fairly advanced in some parts.
I would go with the digital for sure. A trip to the Galapogos with my old camera would have required um...like a hundred roles of film!

I would go the digital route and head to the local dive center and take a photography class....You will run into some amazing sealife and have the opportunity to take some excellent pics in the Galapagos so I would take the proper steps and come back and post some stellar photos on this site..... :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom