beginner's camera ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jvalent

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Ok, very new to diving but was curious on one thing. I was looking at some photos of a wreck I'd like to dive, and I noticed some differences in some photos. Some of the pics tended to have a lot of blue tint on them due to the water of course, but some others had no tint and almost looked as ifthey were taken on land. I was wondering how to get the better quality, is it a better camera, flash, what property of an underwater camera helps make the clearer pictures. Just wondering, and I know there probably isn't a great clear-cut answer.

Photoshop. There are a number of factors but strobes are only good for about 6', so a lot of work is done in editing.

another question, how do they make the shots where there is a nice macro photo with a perfect black background?

The color of the background (blue vs black) is determined by the shutter length. A very short shutter time (maybe 1/500 or less, but it also depends on your aperature and the amount of ambient light) decreases the amount of background light, eventually making the background dark. The foreground is lit by the stobe and will be bright and colorful.

David

The closer you get to your subject, the better. This is because the water can create that blue tint if your subject is too far away. This means having good wide angle capability is critical. If not through the built in lens (for point and shoot cameras), then through the addition of an external lens.

Back
Top Bottom