Beginner question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kryssa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm pretty new to diving and we are going to the Channel Islands in a couple of months and I'd like to bring a camera along with. I already own a Canon A630. Is there any reason to buy an new camera specifically for diving rather than a housing for the camera I already own?

No reason - my buddy gets good results with his A620.

However it's probable you won't be able to find a housing for it any longer.

Afaik the only two available were the Canon WP-DC8 or the Ikelite. While the WP-DC8 is searchable on Google, you'll likely find that no one has it in stock - or can special order it. Canon did a special order last production run on some of their older discontinued housings (last summer?) but they're all done now. I'm not sure if the DC8 was one of them, but it's likely as that was a popular model.

You might check on eBay. Although usually those show up on Google searches. Check AikoTrading also.

If you decide to get another camera, I would recommend getting a very simple cheaper point and shoot with an internal flash. New divers need to concentrate on honing thier diving skills. Once the diving is second nature, and you have excellent bouyancy skills, then it mihgt be time to move up to a more complex camera rig. Just my $1/50

If you decide to get another camera, I would recommend getting a very simple cheaper point and shoot with an internal flash. New divers need to concentrate on honing thier diving skills. Once the diving is second nature, and you have excellent bouyancy skills, then it mihgt be time to move up to a more complex camera rig. Just my $1/50

Is there a certain camera you would recommend?

An inexpensive one I would look at the intova IC10. It is a basic 10mp camera. And the housing that comes with the camera is pretty well made. It is about 150-200 dollars.

Any of the Canon P&S cameras paired with the Canon UW housings would probably suit your needs. I have the now discontinued Canon A570IS + Canon WP-DC12 housing. The system works great. If you invest in an UW housing, I highly recommend purchasing a used backup camera on Ebay or Craigslist.

I agree with diverdoug1. Novice divers really shouldn't be task-loading themselves with an UW photo rig. Don't be one of those divers bouncing along the reef, running into other divers, and losing track of his/her dive buddy. If you do plan to take an UW camera, make sure that the photography doesn't compromise dive safety.

Have fun out there...

I'd get an UW housing for the 630...takes good pics from what I remember....(from 3 or so years ago---do a search here for some pics, bet you'll find some good ones)

Last edited:
Thanks all... I bought the housing for my existing camera- and no worries, I subscribe to safety first!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom