Beginner Primary light and backup light recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

for what you're doing you're far better off with some small backup lights and multiples of them than going with anything like a sola. If you're doing any go pro work, I'd get two in video spread and one in spot, otherwise you can really just get away with one spot and one video. The DGX Max has a rotating mag switch that works well and it's cheap which helps. I prefer the Cave Adventurers Explorer/Hog Morph lights *same lights, the CA is just cheaper*. They have a button instead of the rotating switch which may be nicer for you because the mag switches have to be soaked and rinsed quite well, and the buttons actually have 3 levels of power indication on them with a colored LED to let you know how much batter you have. An extra battery for each light and you're good to go.

You don't need anything more than that at this point, these lights are throwing as much light as the primary canisters did a decade ago and are offering burn times of over an hour on high so you're going to be getting out before they die on you. From personal experience, on medium they will go at least 3 hours which is where I usually leave mine unless I need the extra punch.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom