Beginner lighting and strobe kit for G16

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Derelict

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a Canon G16 with Fantasea F16 housing and I'm in the market for some basic lighting and strobe. I'm currently looking at this set up: Inon S-2000 Focus Lighting Set but wondering I'd be better off building my own? I really have no idea where to start. That site is Australian dollars too, as I'm in Australia.

First decide if you want to do video or stills. Or both? Trying to do both makes things much more expensive...I only do stills, so I have no need for a video light.

The kit you linked has 4 different things to think about:
- tray
- arms
- video light
- strobe

Trays and arms can be found used. They normally do not wear out (well flex arms are prone to breaking or getting loose). Ball arms are pretty much indestructible (except the orings need to be replaced every now and then).

A good strobe will last for your next several cameras. So do not be afraid to spend a little more.

But the first question is: why do you feel you need lights? Being able to answer this will help in deciding what type of lighting (if any) is required.

First decide if you want to do video or stills. Or both? Trying to do both makes things much more expensive...I only do stills, so I have no need for a video light.

The kit you linked has 4 different things to think about:
- tray
- arms
- video light
- strobe

Trays and arms can be found used. They normally do not wear out (well flex arms are prone to breaking or getting loose). Ball arms are pretty much indestructible (except the orings need to be replaced every now and then).

A good strobe will last for your next several cameras. So do not be afraid to spend a little more.

But the first question is: why do you feel you need lights? Being able to answer this will help in deciding what type of lighting (if any) is required.

I have a Gopro and soon a Paralenz for video. Camera is for photos. I need a strobe because the on board flash is useless in the waters in my town.

I've already done some other research and spoken to friends, the S&S YS-01 seems like a much better option as does ball arms. I'm in Australia so getting second hand stuff is much more difficult.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom