Bees wax or silicon for drysuit zipper?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hoopa

Contributor
Reaction score
I have been reading around and am trying to figure out the best stuff to use to lube my drysuit zipper... Ive been reading posts and some say "dont use silicone based lubes-- they are bad for the drysuit" while others say "silicone lube is the best"... Lots seem to use bees wax-- but where do you find the good stuff with no bee parts in it? Is there some new stuff out that would make the older recommendations obsolete? New suit here and just trying to start out the care on the right foot..

Oh and--i dont think it matters-- but the zipper is the tizip on a bare suit..

Last edited:
A- bare sucks on getting info out of.
B. id rather find out from people with real world use..
C. they included a tube of tizip silicone gel-- but my gut says to go with a bee wax or something along those lines instead..So Im trying to see what other guys are finding that works best..

I use ether Silicone Pump or UV Tech from McNett on the zippers and the seals, it makes the zipper slide easilly and brought new life into the old dry and cracking wrist seals , they feel soft and supple now

Silicone? what you don't hear is that there are two types of silicone, the 100% soluble in water or food grade silicone is quite alright to use on seals/zippers/etc and will not make any issues with glue not sticking in future repairs or replacements (this was confirmed with DUI)

To make sure, read the info on the bottle, or check with the manufacturer of the product, or read the products MSDS sheet

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom