Beer availability

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shrkdive

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am will be back on Bonaire again soon and wondered if there are any groceries or restaurants where I can get an IPA. From previous trips to the island I have found that craft brews are not being imported.

I don't know but try to enjoy what is available. IPA is a bastardization of good traditional English ale, yes IMHO.
IPA was traditionally a change in brewing that allowed English ale to travel the distances to India before the age of refrigeration. Overly hopped and higher alcohol content, both natural preservatives allowed this new brew to travel without going bad. The result however is an overly bitter sharp tasting ale. I guess it is an acquired taste, one I have simply failed to acquire. I would be more concerned that Polars from Venezuela may no longer be available. Enjoy your trip even if in the absence of an IPA.

There is a bar grill south of town near plaza resort that has a large selection of imported beers. Joes Grill. Mostly Belgian but would probably have what you are looking for. tkaelen is correct re origin but not about flavour. IPAs are not bitter and sharp to many tastes otherwise why would they be so popular.

I think IPAs are undrinkable, due to being bitter (to me). I think arugula is bitter too, my wife thinks it is sweet.

The Belgian place that Doctorfish mentioned is all I'm aware of as far as getting a flavorful, hoppy beer along the lines of an American IPA.

For what it's worth, I too am a fan of IPAs and craft beer in general, but I take a "when in Rome" approach to beer in my travels. I drink what's local and somehow convince myself that local beer tastes better. It's fun to buy a case of those petite bottles of Amstel. I haven't been paying attention to the mega-beer offerings in the US in recent years, but at least as of some years ago regular Amstel still wasn't being imported into the US, only Amstel Light. Unless something has changed, the Amstel on Bonaire is brewed on Curacao, with desalinated water. And Amstel seems refreshing on a tropical island. Polar seems inferior to Amstel to me, but again, there's a novelty factor in drinking a Venezuelan beer. (If Venezuela is still producing anything.)

In Portland or Seattle, it's hoppy craft beer all the way for me. On Bonaire, I look forward to that Dutch swill.

Wow, I noticed you are from the U.S.
Did you know that Heineken in Dutch locations is Pilsner, and not Lager as it is in the states? I hate Heineken in the states and could drink it for breakfast in Bonaire...

IPA's are definitely an acquired taste. One that is properly balanced should not come off overly bitter. However imo they are not as refreshing in very hot weather. So enjoy the dutch lawnmower brews :wink:

Wow, I noticed you are from the U.S.
Did you know that Heineken in Dutch locations is Pilsner, and not Lager as it is in the states? I hate Heineken in the states and could drink it for breakfast in Bonaire...

What fstbttms said. Yes, Heineken is of the style known as pilsner, as are Budweiser, Coors, Miller High Life, etc. Essentially all of those light yellow or straw-colored lagers are considered pilsners.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom