Been torture testing my black and now wonder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divingpyrate

Contributor
Reaction score
I have been doing three batteries in a row to dead taking 1080p 60 protune on camraw
getting close to 50 minutes each batter, with the 32 gb card roughly 60% filled up

reading this article Understanding Your New GoPro and makes me curious

What are the pros and cons of moving up to the 2.7K
seems like it would be great if you need to stabilize the footage. But you loose the 60 Fps for Slow Mo
Might do better in low light. will most likely fill the card better. ( I plan to dive with a fresh battery and card each dive)
could drain the battery faster (not good)

The only issues I have with mine so far is freezing when I start it up. Fixed by starting it up and taking a short video before leaving the boat
So I prefer to just turn it on and not touch it while I am down to prevent it freezing in the middle of a dive.
Yeah editing that much is a bear. But I have a fast machine, and you just never know what you might capture by mistake

Regarding 2.7k your main advantage is that the actual image of 2.7k even when scaled back down to 1080p is better then you get in the 1080p modes. You also have the option of cropping to 1080p so basically you get the option of wide and medium fov at the same time. Cropping to 1080p gives a similar image to what 1080p medium modes does so you can use this to get in closer or to help with framing in post.

30p will also give better results in lower light over 60p but there will be times where shooting 1080p60 may be preferred. I would find it hard to use 1080p30 over 2.7k for the reasons mentioned above but still will be using 1080p60 quite a bit.

In regards to stabilization I really don't like software stabilization especially not if being used on very shaky footage, best trying to just about as steady as possible and avoid the warping the software does when stabilizing. Shooting in 60p will still likely do better for less stable mounts, higher frame rate less rolling shutter and motion blurring. But best to try avoid replying on software stabilization IMHO as in many cases the warping I find worse then a little camera shake.

The freezing problem is not good. I d rather leave camera on standby than filming the whole dive.

thanks as always great information. So it sounds like on overcast days where light might be a problem going back to 30fps and 2.7 would help
I like the 60fps for slow mo. But premiere pro does better time remapping than stabilzation. I agree on the warp
think i will play with 2,7

i just replaced my gopro, and so far no freezes
new one came with new firmware out of the box

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom