becoming boat captain in Koh Tao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Davy Jones Locker and Big Blue Diving offer the BSAC Boat Handling and Dive Coxwain courses.

I have those, in addition to the RYA Powerboat qualification. That allowed me to apply for an International Certificate of Competence (ICC).

These aren't "Captains License" courses or 'professional' qualifications though - as they are intended for private use with 'pleasure craft', rather than commercial operation.

To get a US Coastguard approved commercial/professional license, you'd need much more training. I think you can get that in Pattaya or Phuket with IYT.

I' think the commercial/charter license needed to operate in Thailand is the 'Thai Skippers License'. To get one of those, you need to have evidence of at least 2 years experience as a boat captain, along with Thai residency. I doubt it'd be to any international or transferable standard. Most of the dive boats operated there are run by local Thai owners, who have some form of contract or arrangement with a dive operation.

For more information, check out this link:Sailing & Boating in Thailand - AngloINFO Bangkok (Thailand)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom