Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Knockout Diver

Registered
Reaction score
Hi. I'm moving to the Tampa area (probably Brandon) this summer. I'm thinking of becoming an instructor. I'm currently PADI AOW so I need Rescue through Instructor. I've emailed 3-4 shops in the area and no one gets back to me. Any recommendations as far as shops go and what is the estimated cost? Also, what's the best way to get in the water around Tampa? I take it there's no shore diving but are the boats worth it?

Thanks!

the lack of response probably indicates how seriously they take their business. Drive across on Route 60 and come train with us a Stuart Scuba. We have a very serious DM program. Our DM candidates will also intern/assist in one of our shops and DM/guide on one of our dive boats.

Thank you! That sounds good, a little bit of a drive but I'll keep you in mind. Do you offer instructor certification as well? How much would a package from rescue to instructor cost?

the lack of response probably indicates how seriously they take their business. Drive across on Route 60 and come train with us a Stuart Scuba. We have a very serious DM program. Our DM candidates will also intern/assist in one of our shops and DM/guide on one of our dive boats.

There is a lot of spring diving north of Tampa.

But in general, you can't break even (much less make a living) as a scuba instructor unless you also own a dive shop, have a unique thing you do really well, or are willing to become a tech instructor and invest tens of thousands of dollars and work for years to build a reputation.

Thank you! That sounds good, a little bit of a drive but I'll keep you in mind. Do you offer instructor certification as well? How much would a package from rescue to instructor cost?

we do offer instructor as well and with multiple agencies. Check out our website www.stuartscuba.com for info.
I was merely a customer here and had no intention of getting back into the scuba industry. However, the experience of the key staff and the seriousness and quality of their training sucked me in as staff.

Come and join us and me for a dive. Best thing to do is first figure out if we're a good fit for you. Plus we have much better diving than in Tampa. We actually have a number of regular customers from the Tampa area.

There is a lot of spring diving north of Tampa.

But in general, you can't break even (much less make a living) as a scuba instructor unless you also own a dive shop, have a unique thing you do really well, or are willing to become a tech instructor and invest tens of thousands of dollars and work for years to build a reputation.

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for the suggestion. Believe it or not, I wouldn't do it to make money. Thankfully I have a job that pays well so I would like to teach people for free as a way to give back. I think the more people who know about the oceans, the better chance they have for us to still see something in them in 20 years. That being said, I don't want to spend $5,000 becoming an instructor either LOL.

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for the suggestion. Believe it or not, I wouldn't do it to make money. Thankfully I have a job that pays well so I would like to teach people for free as a way to give back. I think the more people who know about the oceans, the better chance they have for us to still see something in them in 20 years. That being said, I don't want to spend $5,000 becoming an instructor either LOL.

Well, you might want to re-think your options then.

It probably won't cost $5000, but $3000 would probably be pretty close for classes and learning materials, plus ~$1000/year in dues and insurance. Also if you want to teach for free, you'll have to do that without a shop so you'll easily spend $5k in student gear, plus the costs for facility use (pool, OW location, fills, boat, etc) for each class. Unless you are going to be with some organization that has access to all that stuff and you are just volunteering your time.

I'm all in support of wider ocean education, and will teach some minimal cost classes myself, but if $5k is your limit, you aren't even close to being able to do what you want to do.

Also, stay away from Depth Perception.

-Chris

Well, you might want to re-think your options then.

It probably won't cost $5000, but $3000 would probably be pretty close for classes and learning materials, plus ~$1000/year in dues and insurance. Also if you want to teach for free, you'll have to do that without a shop so you'll easily spend $5k in student gear, plus the costs for facility use (pool, OW location, fills, boat, etc) for each class. Unless you are going to be with some organization that has access to all that stuff and you are just volunteering your time.

I'm all in support of wider ocean education, and will teach some minimal cost classes myself, but if $5k is your limit, you aren't even close to being able to do what you want to do.

Also, stay away from Depth Perception.

-Chris

Hey Chris,

Thanks for the response! I didn't want to spend $5,000 becoming an instructor. I've seen some advertisements to become an instructor from AOW for as low as $2,000 with all learning materials. I'm not quite in a place to spend more than that for a couple of years. Once my student loans are paid off, all $300K of them, I can be altruistic. I know the setup and maintenance will probably cost me $2K-3K per year. That's fine. Even if it costs me $5,000 a year I'm okay with that too. Long term goal :). I do have a scuba shop idea but like the joke goes, what's the easiest way to make $1 million in the scuba industry... start with 2. So we'll see about that. I don't mind giving my time in return for education either. It sounds like Stuart Scuba may consider that so I'm looking at them.

I think I emailed Depth Perception. What didn't you like about them? I see you're in Galveston. I did my training in Texas, did not have a good experience.

-Tom

Well it sounds like you at least know a little about what you are trying to get yourself into! :)

Re Depth Perception, lack of ability to tell the truth was the major issue. Which resulted in me buying a rebreather from them and it never even being ordered, despite multiple claims of it having been shipped, then damaged in delivery, then shipped back to get fixed, etc, etc. Good thing I payed with a credit card! I know someone else that paid in cash, last I heard they were looking into a lawsuit after literally getting a box of used parts as their rebreather.

-Chris

Hey Chris,

Thanks for the response! I didn't want to spend $5,000 becoming an instructor. I've seen some advertisements to become an instructor from AOW for as low as $2,000 with all learning materials. I'm not quite in a place to spend more than that for a couple of years. Once my student loans are paid off, all $300K of them, I can be altruistic. I know the setup and maintenance will probably cost me $2K-3K per year. That's fine. Even if it costs me $5,000 a year I'm okay with that too. Long term goal :). I do have a scuba shop idea but like the joke goes, what's the easiest way to make $1 million in the scuba industry... start with 2. So we'll see about that. I don't mind giving my time in return for education either. It sounds like Stuart Scuba may consider that so I'm looking at them.

I think I emailed Depth Perception. What didn't you like about them? I see you're in Galveston. I did my training in Texas, did not have a good experience.

-Tom
Hello Tom,

Good Luck on your Move to the Tampa Area, where you will find some awesome dives and divers. In regards to diving off Tampa (gulf in general), the major issue is you have to go way out to get over the shelf. I have taken 2-3 hour boats rides just to get to the site. North of Tampa you will find Cave, Caverns, Springs and Grotto Heaven. The wide experience you will get is awesome. Get to know the right folks and you can hike through the Swamps to Grotto Gems like Bufford or Eagles Nest.

If time is not an issue, and you wish to commit to a shop for 3-5 years, they will cover your training for free and some will cover NAUI/PADI/ETC fees as well. Find a shop, start diving and spending time with them. I have had 2 shops offer me this option over the last 3 years. I choose a different route as I needed to be independent for tax reasons.

Once you are in a shop, you can accumulate extra gear FAST. A family of 6 certified at a shop I was diving at about 4 years ago, bought everything for the family. They went on a trip to the Caribbean's, wife almost died, made the husband sell all the gear. My buddy picked it all up for 1/4 of the price.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom