Becoming a Divemaster/ Getting foot in the door in professional diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The trouble with working in diving is that so many people are willing to do it for nothing, so finding a job that will pay enough to live is very difficult, unless you live somewhere that's cheap to live in.

Professional people working for nothing really irks me. That's another can of worms. If no DMs worked for nothing SOME would get paid a decent wage. ...

You really have to enjoy the personal teaching (assisting) satisfaction aspect of DMing, then consider the money.

The LDS that I trained at in the UK didn't pay DMs or instructors, not even expenses. I got free air fills and a staff discount in the shop :shakehead:

When I was in Egypt I did some work as a dive guide, it paid $12 a dive which was enough to live on and considerably more than the average Egyptian's wage.

I'm now back in the UK and an instructor in a dive club. I still don't get paid but I get free air fills, (like every other club member) I only teach club members and nobody is making a profit out of my labours, so the situation is different from working in a shop. I still get a buzz out of seeing "students so thrilled to be in 20 feet of ice cold water in wet suites looking at sand, rocks and seaweed and having their minds blown" too, although we teach them in drysuits :)

Back
Top Bottom