Becoming a dive professional in Texas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trevor JC Brown

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hello All,
I am writing this for a friend of mine, he is quite sick of his job and I, being a dive instructor for most of my life, recommended that he try the same.

He has never dove before and lives close to Austin.

I am looking for some advice on how he should approach this in Texas, I am Canadian and have never dove or worked in Texas and know nothing about the dive scene there.

In Canada there are many work/school programs that offer student loans to become a dive instructor, does anyone know if there are similar programs in Texas?

Any recommendations on a dive shop to get started with? I am wary of the dive centers that offer free training for work, maybe it's better in the USA but overseas those programs aren't great.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Well first things first find out if he likes diving, how close to Austin? To make a living in diving business you really need to work full time at a store or a lake teaching is just a way to cover some of your expences

You're giving your friend really bad career advice. :)Tell him to take up diving as a hobby, that's really what it is. In TX, like almost anywhere except dive destinations, it's almost impossible to make even a meager living teaching diving. The dive shop owners are having a tough enough time getting by.

I live in Austin and work for Scubaland Adventures. If your friend is still looking to get into the field he/she should contact the store owner, Rob. He is looking to hire full or part time help for the store. Our phone number is 512-323-6999.

What did your friend decide? I agree with those that say diving is a hobby in TX. As a long-time Austin DM, I'm lucky to pay off annual insurance and gas money with tips. Instructors are paid, but they don't make much profit either - summer has enough classes to make mediocre money, but the rest of the year may not be enough to break even on costs, like insurance and gear.

Carl Griffing in the Houston area is a high-quality recreational, technical, and cave instructor who makes a living in the Texas dive industry. He manages Sea Sports Scuba in Katy, TX. Might be worth a trip for your friend to pick his brain.

Carl Griffing in the Houston area is a high-quality recreational, technical, and cave instructor who makes a living in the Texas dive industry. He manages Sea Sports Scuba in Katy, TX. Might be worth a trip for your friend to pick his brain.

Fortunate to call Carl a friend. He's one of the few here who have made it a fulltime career by scrapping and hustling and being able to teach just about anything to anyone. Open water will not be enough. Tech divers don't expect quality instruction for $5/hour.

is your friend independently wealthy? I hope so, otherwise he's going to starve.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom