Beavertail Wetsuit Jackets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BDIVER1351

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Does anyone know why we can't find beavertail wetsuit jackets anywhere these days other than on vintage scuba gear websites? Wonder why they aren't made anymore.

I was given a old beavertail jacket, it is a nice solution for extra layer when needed. Easy on and off.

I've never heard of a beavertail wetsuit jacket before but a quick google turns up several companies selling them.

Beavertail Jacket - JMJ Wetsuits
NWS-RJFZ-BT | Retro Jacket Front Zip with Beaver Tail
Beavertail Wetsuits | Free Shipping at Buy4Outdoors
Amazon.com : O'Neill Wetsuits Original Beaver Tail Wetsuit (Black, XX-Large) : Surfing Wetsuits : Clothing

Out of curiosity, what does the beavertail do for you?
They are easier for me to get in and out of. I'm old school and always used them in the 70's and 80's. Don't like the step in version as it often unzips as I'm putting it on. Thanks for the referrals above on who sells beavertaisl.

Most of all freediving suits are beavertail cut with attached hood.
You might still be able to get a Harvey’s suit, they would be beavertail but no attached hood.
You can also order one from JMJ as has already been mentioned and there is also M&B Wetsuits in Long Beach that makes beavertail cut with attached hood. Most beavertail suits made these days are custom made for the commercial urchin diving industry
You’re right, beavertail suits with attached hood are the warmest wetsuit configuration with a great rubber to warmth ratio.
The reason they do not make many of them now as “scuba” suits is because full suits with back zip are popular and used with hooded vests or step in style with an added bibbed hood. Attached hood suits made out of dense enough rubber to be useful for scuba diving are just a little too custom to fit everyone off the rack. It is easier to fit the majority of people the way scuba suits are configured these days.
The only commercially available attached hood beavertail suits I know of are freedive suits, but most or all of them generally are made of very soft stretchy neoprene, they are skin-in, and have no zippers.
There is also an attached hood suit I forgot about, the front zip full suit with attached hood, but everything has to be in the right place and the right size for them to be comfortable. I think the front zip is awkward and annoying, and to me they are not that warm, not as warm as a two piece beavertail suit with attached hood.

Wetsuits - Spearfishing Wetsuits - MAKO Spearguns

Please take a look at our suits as well. We have 3, 5 and 7 mm suits for both men and women and children too.

I love my 5mm MAKO free diving suit. Used it a couple weekends ago because I didn't wan to mess with the drysuit on the second day of dives. High 50s under the thermocline and I was fine. You do have to lube up though with the open cell suits.

Good question BDIVER1351

Beavertail jackets are definitely still available. There are probably a few reasons you see more back-zip fullsuits these days, like a) many people probably recognize the back-zip fullsuit as a "modern" style, and b) because those who mass produce wetsuits likely prefer to cut fewer styles.

That said, you should dive what you like. There aren't many wetsuits that will keep you warmer than a Farmer John + Beavertail Jacket, but personally I prefer a back-zip fullsuit because you can dive it by itself in warmer conditions, and add a hood or hooded vest for colder conditions. You could do the same with the farmer/beavertail combo, but I'd rather dive a fullsuit than either piece of that combo on its own.

Happy diving,
Derek & JMJ

Out of curiosity, what does the beavertail do for you?
It also allows the versatility of wearing it either with a Farmer John in colder conditions, or just a swimsuit in less-cold conditions when you might want your legs free.

Back
Top Bottom