Beaufort, NC Trip Report 8/21-8/23

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rlskill1

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Winds kept everyone inshore, but the diving on the Indra, Suloide, Hutton, and Titan was outstanding. Mostly top to bottom vis, and a little less on the wreck maybe dropped to 30-50' depending where you were. Very slight current, lots of fish, water temps near 80, blue water, seas 1' and a few days flat. A very good weekend for diving the inshore wrecks. SeaQuest II from Discovery Diving in Beaufort.

Glad to hear you had a good time and good conditions. My 1st time diving NC was 2 weeks prior to you (trip report). I didn't see any sharks on the 2 inshore wrecks we hit, but several starfish on the Suloide, if memory serves, and enjoyed the longer dive times on the shallower inshore wrecks.

Was your experience similar this trip? How'd you like Discovery Diving?

Richard.

Richard,

I like Discovery Diving just fine, but I like the other shops and boats too. Tortuga James is correct! I am a crew member aboard SeaQuest II.

Glad you got the opportunity to come out and go diving. Too bad all you got to see were inshore wrecks, but we have been having some good vis, even inshore.

The inshore wrecks usually have 1-2 resident sharks and once in awhile a few visitors. Video was shot of a small (6-8') Tiger Shark on the Hutton earlier this summer.
Our big shark wreck is the Caribsea. Literally TONS of Sand Tiger Sharks glide through the currents surrounding that wreck. Not uncommon to sit on the boilers or the bow mast and count 75-100 STS around you. Even though they are sharks, they are gentle and photogenic and polite.

Please come back when you get a chance.

Area dive boats include:
Tortuga, SeaQuest II, Olympus, Outrageous V, Midnight Express, Captains Lady, and Atlantis IV
All good boats run by competent captains

Glad to hear you had a good time and good conditions. My 1st time diving NC was 2 weeks prior to you (trip report). I didn't see any sharks on the 2 inshore wrecks we hit, but several starfish on the Suloide, if memory serves, and enjoyed the longer dive times on the shallower inshore wrecks.

Was your experience similar this trip? How'd you like Discovery Diving?

Richard.

Too bad all you got to see were inshore wrecks, but we have been having some good vis, even inshore.

Sorry, I meant that I only did 2 of the inshore wrecks. I did 7 dives on offshore wrecks; Caribsea, Aeolus, U-352, Spar, Papoose if memory serves (kinda in a hurry).

Richard.

That sounds like a good blend of wrecks for the week.

Back
Top Bottom