Beating the dead horse - wing lift calculator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mindrive

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello everyone!

Wanted to get some opinions on a 20 lb wing in my particular setup for diving in a 5mm on a single aluminum 80 and an aluminum plate. I've ran the calculator several times and it comes up with 14.8 lbs of lift saying i would need 7.8 lbs of lead.

Weight sounds about right but I'm wondering if 20 lb wing would be cutting it too close and maybe I should just grab a 30.

I won't be doing any cold water diving in this setup and the majority of the time it would in fact be in a 3mm instead of a 5mm. Trying to put together a warm water tropical travel kit. Ideas, comments and suggestion would be welcome.

Well if your plate weighs 2 lb, and you add 8 lb of lead (rounding up, and assuming its on your BP or tank), and 2 lb or so for your reg, and 2 lb for a full tank you're at about 14 lb total, so 20 will float your rig. If you are trying to offset the buoyancy/compression of a 5mm then 20 lb lift will also work.

I have a BP/W with a 6 lb steel BP, and am diving with a total of 12 lb weight (the 6 lb BP plus another 6 lb ditchable in waist pockets) and a 5 mm and am using a 17 lb wing - which is the smallest that will just float my rig at its heaviest assuming I don't ditch any weight. (12 lead + 2 for reg + 2 for tank = 16)

If you are worried that 20 lbs won't cut it for you and the price isn't different or isn't a concern, you might want to go for the 30 for peace of mind. I debated a 23 or a 35 for a while when I got mine and eventually settled on the 23. I have an aluminum plate (2 lbs), and with my reg and an AL80, I carried 11 lbs in weights last summer in cold, fresh water in my full 7mm (hood and gloves). Following mi000ke's estimates for the full tank and reg, that means I'm carrying about 17 total lbs. I'm going diving in Southern California next week (Catalina), in cold salt water, so I expect to be wearing the full 7 and carrying a little extra weight to make up for the salt water. I think I'm going to be pushing my wing to the max (probably need to carry 16-17 lbs in addition to tank, plate, and reg) when I start the dive if I immediately drop to 135 feet and compress all the buoyancy out of my suit, but I don't think that's going to happen.

Of course, if you don't see me around here early next year, maybe it did happen and you should get the 30 lb wing. :wink:

If you are worried that 20 lbs won't cut it for you and the price isn't different or isn't a concern, you might want to go for the 30 for peace of mind. I debated a 23 or a 35 for a while when I got mine and eventually settled on the 23. I have an aluminum plate (2 lbs), and with my reg and an AL80, I carried 11 lbs in weights last summer in cold, fresh water in my full 7mm (hood and gloves). Following mi000ke's estimates for the full tank and reg, that means I'm carrying about 17 total lbs. I'm going diving in Southern California next week (Catalina), in cold salt water, so I expect to be wearing the full 7 and carrying a little extra weight to make up for the salt water. I think I'm going to be pushing my wing to the max (probably need to carry 16-17 lbs in addition to tank, plate, and reg) when I start the dive if I immediately drop to 135 feet and compress all the buoyancy out of my suit, but I don't think that's going to happen.

Of course, if you don't see me around here early next year, maybe it did happen and you should get the 30 lb wing. :wink:
Let me know how it goes, I may use your experience to make my purchase. But based on the responses so far, I think a 20 will cut it, worst case scenario i'll have to get a 30 as well and have the 20 as a spare.

Let me know how it goes, I may use your experience to make my purchase. But based on the responses so far, I think a 20 will cut it, worst case scenario I'll have to get a 30 as well and have the 20 as a spare.
I survived. I went shore diving on Thursday at White Point Park/Royal Palms in San Pedro, CA, with 18 lbs and a steel LP85 (not sure which tank exactly, but not a heavy steel tank - apparently they can vary a lot). I was also carrying a UK C8-L2 light, which weighs just over two pounds on land, but I don't know what it's buoyancy is.

On Friday, we went to Catalina. I was wearing my 7 mm full, hood, gloves, and boots again, AL back plate, same light, and 12 lbs because the tank I was carrying (Worthington LP85) was quite heavy. I was still a bit over weighted, but not for my wing. I went as deep as 88 feet and had no problems balancing out what I was carrying. 23 lbs was plenty.

Where is Tobin when you really need him?

I survived. I went shore diving on Thursday at White Point Park/Royal Palms in San Pedro, CA, with 18 lbs and a steel LP85 (not sure which tank exactly, but not a heavy steel tank - apparently they can vary a lot). I was also carrying a UK C8-L2 light, which weighs just over two pounds on land, but I don't know what it's buoyancy is.

On Friday, we went to Catalina. I was wearing my 7 mm full, hood, gloves, and boots again, AL back plate, same light, and 12 lbs because the tank I was carrying (Worthington LP85) was quite heavy. I was still a bit over weighted, but not for my wing. I went as deep as 88 feet and had no problems balancing out what I was carrying. 23 lbs was plenty.

Glad you made it!

Back
Top Bottom