Bear Grylls Adventure - Birmingham

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pobalopalous

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
In a couple of weeks I'll do the 'dive with sharks' adventure while visiting the NEC for a convention. The term 'dive' is used in it's broadest sense. This will be more of an underwater walk, with a scuba tank, for ~20 minutes. I'm not expecting it to be like diving the great barrier reef. However, I've been unable to find any reviews of it by fellow divers. Any reviews or comments I've seen have been more about the novelty of breathing underwater, suggesting that the content of the tank was not exactly memorable. I'll report back after my adventure but if you've been, and there's something I should particularly look out for, let me know.

In a couple of weeks I'll do the 'dive with sharks' adventure while visiting the NEC for a convention. The term 'dive' is used in it's broadest sense. This will be more of an underwater walk, with a scuba tank, for ~20 minutes. I'm not expecting it to be like diving the great barrier reef. However, I've been unable to find any reviews of it by fellow divers. Any reviews or comments I've seen have been more about the novelty of breathing underwater, suggesting that the content of the tank was not exactly memorable. I'll report back after my adventure but if you've been, and there's something I should particularly look out for, let me know.

The dive experience is a PADI Discover Scuba programme with a 20 minute walk around a 4 metre deep fish tank. There were 6 of us doing the dive and I was the only certified diver. Once we checked in, we give our shoe size and one of the crew went off to prepare the kit. The instructor was thorough but got through the material with the uncertified divers briskly. In other words, there were no major delays getting into the water. With the briefing over we were brought into a secured area for suiting up. The centre open in October 2018 and has good facilities. Each changing cubical has a shower and there are secured lockers. The dive gear is almost exclusively Aqualung: regs, bcd with integrated weights, 3 mm wetsuits and boots.

With suits donned we entered a shallow, 1 metre, pool which was divided from the rest of the aquirium pool by a sliding gate. This means we did have some fish swimming in our pool as we got the BCDs on, and we went through the basic skills. It was nice to see the fish darting in and out. A taste of what was to come. Once everyone was ready, the gate was opened, and we walked single file down the metal stairs to begin the tour.

Straight away one could see there was a lot more to this tank than sharks and rays. There was an impressive variety of tropical fish and they were very curious. I was expecting the tank to be sparse, but we had some lovely, colourful, salt water, tropical fish darting around us. We followed a path through the tank with the Black Reef Tip sharks swimming overhead, and the rays gliding by. As we walked, the instructor pointed out the angel fish, triggerfish and the new nursing sharks that had just been introduced to the tank. The water was a lovely 26 degrees and crystal clear.

In summary, I was surprised by the variety and number of fish but it is short 'dive'. I would not consider the whole thing to be a destination, but if visiting Birmingham or that part of England, it is worth a visit, particularly with non-diver friends.

I have just been working right next door at the NEC, jad no idea about this! I will have to go check it out next time i am there with some spare time!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom