Beach Weddings in Bahamas/Caribbean???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pbowl

Reaction score
I'm looking to plan a wedding in the Bahamas or other Caribbean destination. I was wondering if anyone else has done something like this, and has suggestions for a resort. What we want is a nice resort that plans the wedding for us, and can accomodate a wedding party of about 20 people. Two places I have found that do it that look good are Small Hope Bay Lodge on Andros Island, and Sandals resort on Nassau. If you have any other suggestions or can comment on these resorts, I would greatly appreciate it. If you have done it and can comment on price of the wedding package and what the package includes, that would help out too!

We're both divers so we would like to be able to dive while we're there too. Thanks!

while I've never done a wedding on a caribbean island, I've seen several of them done before at these resorts.

Saphire Beach Resort in St Thomas has a nice area. they have a peninsula that sticks out from the water some that provides a walkway out to the ocean for the wedding ceremony. it was done very nicely. guest can easily stay at the resort. btw.. they have an onsite dive boat, which is always a plus (wedding or not).

Couples Resort in Ocho Rios and Negril both did them. They were nice but I was least impressed by this resort that did weddings. They seemed to do the exact same thing for the SEVERAL weddings that we witnessed while lounging in nearby beach chair. Most of these weddings were the wedding couple only with no guests. This resort is a no-children resort, so it will limit who stays there. It's also not cheap either with might limit some of your guests. Both of these resorts are also a couple hours drive from the airport which again is limiting. However from a diving related view, both resorts have dive boats on site though the diving is much better at the Negril resort. (of course we all know that Jamacia is not a world famous for diving, but the diving in Negril wasn't that bad).

Aruba Wyndham prob had the nicest setup I saw of all weddings. They setup an archway on the beach and lots of white beach chairs. The wedding I saw was towards sunet and had a beautiful setting. Aftewards the resort had a reception area set up on one of the outide balconies and served a reception dinner. It was pretty nice. This is a very nice resort also with great restaurants. (diving report, several local operators and decent diving right off the coast).

Other locations: I've also seen some great beach weddings at other US locations in the Florida panhandle in small little beach towns. you can't beat these locations.

As for the Bahamas, I've been there a couple times but never seen a wedding there. My vote would be for the "out islands" and not Nassau or Freeport. For some reason Nassau and Freeport, which are the major airport, cruiseboat, and tourist destinations, the people on that island just don't seem that friendly as the out-islands. In fact, most of them not only are not friendly, but are rude or un-grateful and seem like it's an insult to have to serve "us toursits". Yes I did see some friendly people there, but this was the exception and not the rule.

Hopefully someone else can reply with some other options so you have more choices.

Got married at Sandals in Jamaica and thought they did a pretty good job. We didn't have to worry about a thing! The only negative thing I can say about getting married at the Sandals in the bahamas is that you have to apply for the marriage license in person and from what I've been told it takes many hours. The only other issue that you may have is that if your guests do not stay at Sandals they will have to pay around $90 per person for a day pass and children are not allowed. As for the wedding . . .the basic package is free if you stay for six nights or longer. Package includes cake (a little generic), champagne, Rev., one photo. . .photo packages can be added on and the prices are much much less then in the US, flowers are included but if you want something other then daisys or carnations you must pay extra, spend the money for the band as the music will be played from a 'boom box' otherwise. . they tell you to bring a cd with your music selections. .location is your choice, beach, garden or inside and the times are preselected . .10 . .noon . .and 4 I think. Other then not paying for the steel drum band and the fancy reception I don't have any regrets. . the resort makes you feel special and you really don't have to do anything other then show up with something to wear . . .even the basic package is well done and doesn't seem cheap, one exception is the music. Congratulations and have a wonderful island wedding . . .we did.

I've been to Andros, and enjoyed the diving. I've heard good things about Small Hope Lodge, but haven't stayed there.
Along the lines of what divetraveler mentioned, I know my cousin looked into getting married in the Bahamas about 6 or 7 years ago, and decided against it because of some issue with the time to get a marriage certificate there. I think they had to be there a week before the wedding, I don't remember the details, but it is something you need to look into.

We were married at the Victoria House in Belize. Perfect. Happy to discuss it further if you are interested.

Small hope is nice on a out island or try
www.ourlucaya.com
the Westin is sweet seen a few folks get hooked at this resort,
Brad
And Bahamians rude? Well not the ones that I know for over 30 years of going to the islands! I have some Great Bahamian Pals,just great folk. If they get rude you have done something to them, and you should of stayed home to get your rush rush lifestyle!
In the Bahamas slow down mannnn, Leave the laptop,and cell at home, relax! It will all be there when you get home and nothing will be for the worse!

You might want to check out the "destination wedding" message board on www.theknot.com. It's very active and I'm sure you'd get lots of ideas and advice there. (My husband and I married at the Four Seasons Hualalai on the Big Island of Hawaii). Happy planning!

We were married at Fiesta Americana in Coz. Let me know if you would like details and I will let you talk to my wife. There is an English lady on the island and that is all she does and she is very inexpensive and takes care of everything.

My husband and I honeymooned in Jamaica at Sandals Negril. We did not get married there, but we saw several couples that week who were married while we were at Sandals. It was very charming and tropical...everything was done for them and looked beautiful from afar. My husband and I said that, if we could go back and do it again, we would have been married there instead of having a traditional wedding here in the states.

As far as all-inclusives, it's the only way to go. We spent a little extra on concierge. I called the concierge and asked for a fresh coconut to be brought to our room. The gardner showed up with a really big knife and asked "Did you call for a coconut, mon? Come out to the beach and pick one out and I'll cut it for ya." So, I picked out the tree, he shimmied up it, and whacked a fresh coconut of my choosing right from the tree. He showed us how to drink the milk and eat the "meat of the coconut" with sugar on it and carved us out a spoon from the hull. That's one of my fav memories... but back to the topic at hand...check on Sandals. Seems to be a bargain. Looked very beautiful from the balcony of our room.

We did a lot of diving that week, too. Diving is included. 2 tanks per day plus a night dive if there is enough prople to book it!

The Cayman Islands tourism dept. has a whole page dedicated to weddings in the Cayman Islands.

Our daughter had her wedding at Cobalt Coast Resort on Grand Cayman. The resort is small (24 rooms) so we had the whole resort with our families. All the staff at Cobalt and the dive/snorkle shop (Divetech) went out of their way to make our stay awesome. Divetech provided a free video of our diving and they even had photo's of the wedding in their video.

Where ever you go have a grand wedding.

Back
Top Bottom