Beach diving with a scooter in the Caribbean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeepSeaDan

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Greetings,

I want to travel to the caribbean to shore dive with my scooter. I've heard it isn't possible in Roatan, but probably Bonaire. Not sure about Cozumel. If you like to beach dive with a scooter in the caribbean islands - where do you go?

Thanks,
DSD

House reef at Cocoview would be awesome on a dpv. My battery configuration isn't airline friendly though.

Why would it not be possible somewhere? I don’t get it.
Buddy of mine is a PADI CD & has worked in Roatan extensively. He said the reef system there is formally a marine park & they prohibit beach diving ( too many boats cited as the main reason ). No shop there will rent you tanks, he said. Got me wondering if this kind of thinking is pervasive in the Carib.

Got it. I’m honestly wondering how much longer Monterey is going to let us use DPVs. It seems like everything that is fun becomes illegal here.

Got it. I’m honestly wondering how much longer Monterey is going to let us use DPVs. It seems like everything that is fun becomes illegal here.
That is my concern for the premium locations in the Caribbean. I think for a lot of dive shops, the idea of 'solo' diving is anathema to them; then there's the panic over liability risk. The only ( and expensive ) option may be to hire a boat and somehow obtain cylinder rental, but that's a long-shot at best. I was ready to order a pelican case for my Travel, but now I'm not too sure, as there may be no place to travel it to.

Greetings,

I want to travel to the caribbean to shore dive with my scooter. I've heard it isn't possible in Roatan, but probably Bonaire. Not sure about Cozumel. If you like to beach dive with a scooter in the caribbean islands - where do you go?

Thanks,
DSD
My wife and I have been to Bonaire 5 times since the end of 2017. We have seen an increasing number of divers on DPVs over that time, especially on our last visit, Oct/Nov 2021. These have been groups and singles.

I occasionally dive solo in Bonaire, though an SDI Solo Diver, I have never been asked for my cert. Dive Friends teaches Self Reliant Diver, perhaps SDI also.

I do not own a DPV but have rented one on several occasions since 2004. Personally, I do not see a significant advantage to using a DPV on Bonaire. The reefs are all quite close to shore, current rarely plays a role. Covering more ground, more quickly, would not be a priority for me. Unless you have someone meet you, you will always be returning to your starting point.

@RayfromTX uses a DPV on Cozumel frequently, he may be able to advise you. However, his diving is not necessarily typical, and he has significant experience there.

Thanks for that, Scubadada. I want to use my dpv as it allows me extended bottom times and my goal is to look for larger pelagics, so my ability to cover more territory should increase the odds for such encounters. Returning to my start point is a fine plan for me.

I was in Curacao two years ago, thus I suspect the reefs in Bonaire would be similar. In your experience, what are the odds for seeing larger critters in Bonaire? Several years ago, I lead a group of snorkellers on a 2 hour snorkel in Roatan. After an hour, I turned the group to head back; then, from high on the reef, we saw a large sail fish swim right in front of us, heading out into open ocean. In 47 years of diving, I had never seen such a sight! Got me hooked on seeking out the bigger sea life. I realize these encounters are very rare, but I'm delighted just to tour the ocean in pursuit of them.

DSD

Hi @DeepSeaDan

Bonaire does not generally allow many opportunities to see bigger sea life. Sharks, mantas, dolphins... are all occasionally seen. I have 8 trips, 242 dives. I have never seen sharks or mantas. I have seen a pod of dolphins in the distance, once.

Nearly all my dives are off the west coast and off Klein Bonaire. My wife saw a couple of Reef Sharks off Klein Bonaire on one dive, I missed them. I have not done any dives off the east coast since 2008, the chances to see big stuff are better. Most divers would use a guide to shore/DPV dive the east side. I have not used them, but TDS does these dives Eastcoast diving - TDSbon Bas Tol is highly recommended and may be your best bet for east side DPV diving BAS Diving

Good luck

Hi @DeepSeaDan

Bonaire does not generally allow many opportunities to see bigger sea life. Sharks, mantas, dolphins... are all occasionally seen. I have 8 trips, 242 dives. I have never seen sharks or mantas. I have seen a pod of dolphins in the distance, once.

Nearly all my dives are off the west coast and off Klein Bonaire. My wife saw a couple of Reef Sharks off Klein Bonaire on one dive, I missed them. I have not done any dives off the east coast since 2008, the chances to see big stuff are better. Most divers would use a guide to shore/DPV dive the east side. I have not used them, but TDS does these dives Eastcoast diving - TDSbon Bas Tol is highly recommended and may be your best best for east side DPV diving BAS Diving

Good luck
Thank you kindly!

DSD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom