Beach Diving in Belize?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

runway1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Haven't found anything on this board about beach diving here. Are there any areas of Belize known for beach diving? Sort of in the spirit of Bonair or Maui.

Hi Runway

There is no shore/beach diving in Belize that I know of, generally the reef is too far from shore to allow for any decent shore/beach diving therefore its all by boat.

Gaz Cooper

I think the closest I've seen to shore diving is on Tobacco Caye, where it's only a short swim to the reef. You still need to cross the reef to dive on the outer side, mind.

I can't speak for the other two resorts on the Turneffe Atoll, but there's no beach diving allowed at Turneffe Island Resort. The reef's only a few hundred yards out, but there's nothing between the caye and the reef except sand and sea grass anyway. Plus, the current's fairly stiff, and should you get caught up in it and miss bouncing back onto the beach, except for the occasional tiny caye there's nothing between you and the mainland except ocean for thirty miles.

Even when you reach the reef here, in most places the drop off is another 100 yards or more past that.
And the only places to cross the reef are cuts where the current picks up with the tide changes.
It could be done on a few of the cayes but it's not worth it and you shouldn't really exert yourself swimming back after a dive.

Back
Top Bottom