Beach Dives (Fins on or off)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm curious why you would go in with the BCD empty and no regulator? It seems to me that things could get ugly if you got knocked down, with no regulator in your mouth and no buoyancy. And then trying to stand back up with fins on...
Going out thorough heavy surf often requires that you dive under the waves. Thus your BC must be empty if you are to be able to quickly submerge. You can embolize from a pressure differential of just 2 PSI, that's 4 feet of water or a wave with an amplitude of only two feet. People have embolized as a result of having a wave pass overhead when they were not in a position to freely move up and down in the water column with the swell, thus I choose to snorkel out through the break, hugging the bottom when required. I am never in a position to be "knocked down" so being tumbled as a result of not getting deep enough soon enough is my main concern. Positive buoyancy is available at the push of a button, though I have never needed it and a regulator is always easily available, but again, I have never needed it. I dive through rather large surf often and this is, IMHO, the best way to minimize the risks.

I've come to the conclusion when diving locally here in So Cal that if the waves are that big then the viz is not worth the dive. Although I can handle waves that big and have dived a few times in large surf, these days I'm likely to call the dive from the start and come back when conditions are better.

For a different opinion, I was taught to enter surf with partially inflated BC. Enough air to float over the waves, but not so much you couldn't go under the waves. Mask in place, reg in mouth. You should also remember no holding your breath, so you need to be aware if you get tumbled that you are still required to breath in/out. Also, when approaching big surf make sure to have your hand over your mask and reg to prevent either or both from being ripped off by the wave.

I've come to the conclusion when diving locally here in So Cal that if the waves are that big then the viz is not worth the dive. Although I can handle waves that big and have dived a few times in large surf, these days I'm likely to call the dive from the start and come back when conditions are better.
There are plenty of times in Norcal (esp. Monastery), Socal (esp. Scripps Canyon) and here in Hawaii when there can be really big surf and yet fine viz a short way off shore ... it all depends on the bottom type.
For a different opinion, I was taught to enter surf with partially inflated BC. Enough air to float over the waves, but not so much you couldn't go under the waves. Mask in place, reg in mouth. You should also remember no holding your breath, so you need to be aware if you get tumbled that you are still required to breath in/out. Also, when approaching big surf make sure to have your hand over your mask and reg to prevent either or both from being ripped off by the wave.
I would not want a partially inflated BC when I'm looking up at the face of a ten foot breaker bearing down on me ... I'd prefer to go under it, you can try to float over it if you want, I'd pass on that "experience." Regulator is, for reasons I described above a potential danger. In the more than 50 years that I've been going out through big surf I've never lost a mask (or any other gear for that matter). It is pretty calm under the swells, just a little surge in the horizontal.

I think the details depend on the local conditions to a degree. If the bottom is rocky rather than all sand I don't want fins on until I'm underwater and away from those rocks.

If I have to walk a long way with my gear on I don't want fins on either. If I can get to chest high water and then quickly put my fins on that is even better. Having fins on where possible is preferred of course for the control you have to quickly move away from the dangers.

Thal: I wish I could have the opportunity to see how you do it. I'm always open to new methods.

I'm somewhat with freewillie in that if the surf is up enough to make me consider putting on my fins beforehand, I'll just call it. When the surf zone is long, has a lot of forward energy and little to no real "impact zone", I can see the advantage of putting fins on beforehand.

Since the OP is a new diver, I would recommend they not attempt an entry through such surf on one of the first dives after certification UNLESS the OP is a surfer or knows how well waves work. I had to learn the hard way! :)

A surfing background and general ocean-going "smarts" really helps.

I've come to the conclusion when diving locally here in So Cal that if the waves are that big then the viz is not worth the dive. Although I can handle waves that big and have dived a few times in large surf, these days I'm likely to call the dive from the start and come back when conditions are better....
Long ago, waves didn't bother me much. Now, older and (I hope) a bit wiser, I just don't bother with shore dives (here in SoCal) unless they are knee slappers. After all, it's not the getting in that causes as much problem as the getting out. Particularly when the knee slapper is now its bigger brother, the Maytag.

I did the backwards walk, then turn around & dive into the waves w/snorkel in Maui. Constant 3-4 feet swells, quite the workout :) it was fun.

Coming back to the beach, big swells are fun, you need to body surf the crests, to gradually get closer. Then get "dumped" into the sand at the end.

As a wave was coming up behind me, I'd fin like crazy to get up & stay in the crest, then rest & wait for the next one.
Easier coming back, than going in.

This was during a Red Flag on the beach. Without mask/fins/snorkel I would not have ventured into the ocean.

I remember during my advanced class I did a shore dive with BC inflated....I had straps on my fins.... I got tumbled in the washing machine and almost drowned. My BC would not allow me to go under the surf. I no longer go in with my BC inflated. I bought spring straps for my fins, Reg in, BC deflated....wade out to chest high water, don my fins, swim out past the breaks. Playing in the washing machine is no fun...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom