Beach Dives (Fins on or off)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was taught to enter water with fins off. Local dive conditions however might dictate that divers would enter with fins on so check with locals regarding shore entries.

Although I was taken aback at the cost of my spring straps I now will not dive without them. They make shore diving so much easier when putting on fins. Well worth the investment.

One trick I learned for shore dives is once I'm in about waist to chest deep water I put on one fin then kick like heck to get through the surf zone. I don't bother to put on the second fin until past the surf zone. That minimizes the time in the surf zone fumbling with the second fin, using spring straps helps as well. Works well for me.

I was taught to enter water with fins off. Local dive conditions however might dictate that divers would enter with fins on so check with locals regarding shore entries.

Although I was taken aback at the cost of my spring straps I now will not dive without them. They make shore diving so much easier when putting on fins. Well worth the investment.

One trick I learned for shore dives is once I'm in about waist to chest deep water I put on one fin then kick like heck to get through the surf zone. I don't bother to put on the second fin until past the surf zone. That minimizes the time in the surf zone fumbling with the second fin, using spring straps helps as well. Works well for me.

Really good idea using the one fin. I rarely dive at sites with big surf but must try that. The spring straps are also a blessing when taking them off hanging onto a boat ladder in big cold waves. They're just really good for everything.

I suppose I'll continue with the fins off approach. If you folks, given your experiences, are all doing it fins off, then there must be good cause to join in.

Normal California or Hawaii beach dive is: fins on, BC empty, snorkel in mouth. This can change as conditions improve.

Another vote for fins off, don them when comfortably past the surf line standing or bobbing. Also mask gloves and regulator are in place. The regulator may wait if the conditions are benign. I don't want any loose gear if I get bowled over. Also Visibility and air are necessary. Even the fins are attached to the BC with fin keepers. This keeps hands free to brace and assist a buddy.

I will say that I have been diving with folks from away and a number of them don fins at the shore line.

Pete

Fins off for me always bc inflated. put fins on in chest deep or past last big breaker with mask on , reg in mouth head under.

Normal California or Hawaii beach dive is: fins on, BC empty, snorkel in mouth. This can change as conditions improve.

I'm curious why you would go in with the BCD empty and no regulator? It seems to me that things could get ugly if you got knocked down, with no regulator in your mouth and no buoyancy. And then trying to stand back up with fins on...

Fins on where the waves peter out, sand wet, walk backwards until a wave can hit my back or water above my knees.
I then turn around and swim out with my snorkel.

Why? Last few times I did this, I spotted interesting wildlife playing in the surf.

The other way around, I have trouble putting on my fins while being bounced around and bobbing up & down, while breathing with snorkel.

I don't want to waste compressed air!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom