Beach 8th St this Saturday 6/14/14

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rich Keller

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I am considering trying out Beach 8th St this Saturday and was looking for any information from people who use the site regularly. The high tide at East Rockaway inlet is at 9:20AM. Will this also be the beginning of slack tide at the site or will that happen a bit later? How long will the slack tide last? Where is it legal to park close to the site? What is there to see? Also any other information about the site you would like to share would be great. Thanks

I live very close by and try to dive there several times every summer. A number of classes will probably be doing their open water dives there on Sat. There are cages at about 15' that the classes use. It will be pretty low biz particularly near the classes. There are two rock groins where I usually see a pretty good mix of fish, lobster, etc. PM id you want more info or need a buddy. High tide is at 9:16am and you will need to be read to get in the he water then. Normally you have about 45-60 minutes of a real slack tide. The current will pick up pretty quickly once the tide switches.

Last edited:
I am going there to meet an instructor giving a class who is also working on this project. Stories From Main Street: Mamaroneck Man Searches For Remains Of World War II Hero In Long Island Sound « CBS New York We are going to go over the search results and the operational details of the diving involved so I know there will be at least one class there that day. I have been hearing about this place for years but have never been there so I thought I would give it a try. Is the beginning of slack tide the same as high tide at the inlet or is it a bit later? If so how much later? I will need to weight check a new equipment configuration before I dive so I want to be there before slack tide begins so I can get squared away first. I was planning on diving solo but if you are interested in going let me know.

The Slack is the hour or so before and after - because of the inlet flow. Viz is about 3 feet till 20' deep then opens up to 7-10 feet on a good day. Water temps were 50's. There are fishermen usually there- beware the monofilament. It's a boating Chanel, so have your dive flag.

Dan-O

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

Slack water is usually shortly after high tide, but not by much. Parking can be a problem. There is only street parking and the cops from year to year change their "policy" about letting the divers double park in the circle. I would be there by 8 if I were you and you should be ok for parking. The area where you enter the water is fairly protected by the groins and you should not have a problem doing a weight check.

Change of plan, I will be going Sunday morning instead.

See any horseshoe crab at Beach and 8th? Swans? Local derelicts throwing Thunderbird bottles into the water?

X

Lots of horseshoe crabs, it is their mating season, no swans, no local derelicts unless you count me but there were more then a few bottles down there to show that they had been there recently. Conditions there were not great according to some regulars I talked to but I thought it was fine so this must be a great spot when conditions are perfect.

There's a nice article on Beach 8th St in the July issue of Dive Training.

Back
Top Bottom