• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Be Cautious Diving and Traveling Abroad

Discussion in 'LGBTQIA and Friends perspectives' started by El Hefe 612, Aug 12, 2017.

1. CanadaDan

CanadaDan Angel Fish

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    I hear what you're saying. For more accepting places and better diving people can simply hop across the caribbean to the Mayan Riviera. I do love Jamaica, we tend to go back every other year. I struggled with this early on but here's my take...

If allies and LGBTQ persons stop going in protest of laws and attitudes then guess who goes... unsympathetic at best and outright homophobes at worst. No new ideas, no visibility, no push to change... nothing will change. So while I am there enjoying my vacation I say certain things and have certain tattoo's that let LGBTQ locals that I come in contact with that I am an ally. If all I can give is a simple acknowledgement to individuals of their right to exist as they are then maybe that's enough but I also support organisations like JFLAG in their efforts to educate their country and liberate their people. If I can afford a vacation their I can afford to help. From the outside maybe it looks like I'm just paying penance so I can clear my conscience but from meeting and interacting with LGBTQ locals I can say they truly appreciate people coming and at least acknowledging their existence.

I also try to be careful about what companies I support. The company that owns Sandals also owns newspapers in Jamaica that run homophobic editorials... so I stay at Couples where I have met LGBTQ staff that seem to be able to be a BIT more themselves on resort at least.

Caveat being that I'm a straight white cis male. I know I have WAY more freedom so I get to be a little more bold..

2. Saturated and satisfied

Saturated and satisfied Angel Fish

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    Pubdraft likes this.
  3. Mosseltje

Mosseltje Angel Fish

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    This year I noticed several gay couples at the coraya bay Jaz Lamaya resort in Egypt.
    (Marsa Alam, Red Sea)

No funny faces whatsoever.

4. Magnus Lundstedt

Magnus Lundstedt Divemaster

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    I was first thinking I should stay away from countries that outlaws some peoples love, but your post made me rethink.

But for me that live in a quite sexual liberated country, and being of the most privileged group, I have not rely any idea how I can show my support, without being offensive to the people I like to support.

Love and let love! Dive and let dive!

CanadaDan, shoredivr and Bubblesong like this.
  5. Pubdraft

Pubdraft Garibaldi

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Lots of good info here. Out of curiosity how's Aruba? My husband and I were thinking of heading down there at some point. Husband has bad asthma so I'll be the only one diving. Also has anyone done Gay Scuba week? If so how is it?

6. kafkaland

kafkaland Barracuda

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I
    I have done Gay Scuba Week twice, on Utila. Fun group, well-organized, I would go with them again if dates and destination works out.

UtopiaOnUtila likes this.