be careful avoid Hartenberger Lights Torches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marmagi

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hartenberger Lights / Torches

Here I am to tell you my experience with Hartenberger Torches Germany Customer Service and Repair Center.

I own a mini compact 96 torch model, it wont charge anymore so I send it to Hartenberger Germany for repair as I thought who else could better repair the torch than the Headquarters itself !

First of all, let me tell you is impossible to clearly communicte with them by email ! they are so arrogant and not willing to be clear or explain anything ! they dont like customers to ask too much !

Anyways I needed to repait my torch so I sent it to them for repair.

I have to recognize they were very fast to send me a repair estimate in very few days:

According to them it needed Cell Pack exchange since cells were broken and they may explode ! price euro 85 !

I asked them to do routine maintenance to the torch as for orings clean and greasing, it will be Euro; 20 not bad I have to recognize its very fair include pressure test.

According to them also the charger LG off-shore II was broken, they said the repair will cost Euro 95

All these prices need to add 19% VAT

When I sent the charger to them I checked it and it was supplying right current and voltage in the plug, then only problem was that the RCA plug was a bit unstable in the connection, when moved it will work properly so I asked to change the plug and they tell me the problem is the charger itself. I tried to ask more detailed explanation they will simply not answer with an automatic answering email saying to call them !

Their English in the emails is very poor, imagine they on the phone? Will cost me more to repair this torch !

Consider the new torch cost less than Euro 400 which is way too mcuh for such torch, there are much better torches on the market for much less price ! The whole repair according to them will cost me: Euro 240 !!!! way too mcuh for a not new torch, there is so much choice on the market for better torched, the problem was that I wanted to repair it instead of putting in on the garbage which I regret not doing 

Anyways after so many emails asking for more explanation on what was the charger repair for? Which they never answered. Can you believe a charger repair can cost euro 95 ?

After all I got the torched repaired, and they even forgot to send me back my old own bulb I tried to ask for it they said they had sent it even got upset I asked for it.

They really dont care at all about customers, they are so arrogant, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND ALL OF YOU TO AVOID BUYING HARTENBERGER TORCHES, THEY ARE BAD TECHNICALLY, THEY ARE WAY TOO EXPENSIVE, THERE IS SO MUCH BETTER ON THE MARKER FOR LESS PRICE AND WORST OF ALL THEY POST SALES, CUSTOMER SERIVE AND REPAIR SERVICE ARE BADDDDDDDDDDDDDD

I hope this help avoid other divers get into trouble buyng Hartenberger products.

Sincerely,

Mario

PS: Forgot to say you never know Name Lastname with whom are you communicatin in Hartenberger, thay like to hide ! not to show their face !

Hi Mario,

I'm no affiliate of Hartenberger in anyway. However I do own 3 Hartenberger lights (Nano Compact, Mini Compact with Nickel Manganese battery upgrade and Professional 125 handlamp), I also own a salvo HID21W and a lightmonkey led lamp plus some various backuplights.

Next to that more then 20 people in my immediate diving group own hartenbergers (logical since the HQ is in Köln which is just 100 miles accross the German Border).

I've visited their HQ a couple of times (one time dropping my pro 125 lid which made it unsealable).

Ok to your mail. First of all because they sell internationally, and they have a nice website does not mean they are really that big. There is no shiny big building, there is no receptionist. Basically it's a dive-shop with a tech-shop behind it where the lamps are manufactured. They also don't have 20 people working there, it's basically 2 brothers who started the business and still do alot hands on with a couple of employees. Lastly only one of the brothers speaks English.

That does not mean they don't want to help you or make a top notch product. They quickly send you an estimate with a calculation on what needed to be replaced. When you wanted more technical details they asked you to call them to discuss in detail? What's wrong with that.

Lastly regarding price of repair of chargers, replacing of batteries. I'd like to give you a wake up call. Batteries are expensive. For example I 'm going to replace my battery canister of my salvo light. Replacing this will set me back about 45% of the inital purchase price of the lamp. So the price seems about right.

So basically what they did was:
- Give you a quick estimate what the repair costs would be.
- Asked you to call back if you needed more technical details
- Changed battery pack, repaired chargerd, and maintained light (replacing o rings, etc) for 260€ seems about right.

Hello,

I thank you for your email. Sorry if I repply to it.

I dont care if they are small and if they are only 2 brothers, good to know it now, I didnt know it so I prefer to buy a torch which is same as good froma multinational company what has very good repair service in many countries around the world.

Usually, its the company that calls the customer, I guess this Hartenberger guys never read or did a customer service course, multinational big companies do ! so its better for customers.

Keep in mind there are soooo many good torches on the marker with more or less same price so why choose a small company ?

They also answered my emails arrogantly ! like upset I asked for more information! as a customer I have all right to know why I am spending so much money !

Batteries are expensive? yes I fully agree.

repair charger saying they just replace the whole charger, now I understand why they do this because most probably they dont make the chargers so they have no idea what is the problem , so they call repair a full replacement ! and chargers are not expensive neither complicated so yes Hartenberger chargers are toooooo much expensive ! and repair is way tooooo much !

And Hartenberger customer service is very very BAD among worst I have ever found ! So I insist there are so many torches on the market so better choose a company with good customer service.

For example is normal you own Hartenberger reason is only geographical convinience ! But really there are sooooooooo many very good torches on the market and even for less price.

Forgot, to tell you they didnt return my old bulp which costs sooo little and they insisted they did, so for such little money they lost a customer for ever and I will spread my experience to everybody telling to avoid buy HARTENBERGER stuff

Anyways thanks so much for letting me know Hartenberger is a garage like company, now I understand all their problems. I guess they dont produce anything themselves hey just put together parts that others manufacture. Which creates many production, quality control and high costs.

I'm not going to get into a pissing contest with you but a couple of facts.

- They do design and produce their own lights. No relabeling or just putting together spareparts.
- They've won year after year the german diving industry award for best lights.
- Clearly you haven't been in touch with alot of multinational helpdesks to believe you are better of relying on their service level. Next to that I don't think there are that many multinationals in the diving industry.
- It probably depends on what you expect from a light but where I'm coming from the cheapest cable lights are in the 800€ + range so the expensive thing is relative. I just replaced a battery canister that costs more than your light.

Anyway I'm sorry that you've had bad experiences with this brand. The only reason I'm posting is to give a 2nd opinion from a satisfied customer so people can see both sides (btw I'm also diving other diving light brands as in AGIR, SALVO (light monkey)

Cheers and happy diving!

I am sure they dont produce the electronic parts !

winning germany diving industry doesnt mean much, hard is to win global industry :wink:

they are lots of multinationals in the diving industry whast are you talking about? come on, get informed have a look on google and you will see, go to world wide diving shows and you will see brands in all of them, hartenberger attends what shows? only in Germany ?

you are so wrong have a look at thica excekllent cable light it costs much less than Hartenberger:

illumintaore subacqueo speleo canister separato videosub - Diving Torches

I recommend you change the lights you use have a look at this , did you see the price?

you never end to learn in the world and always fine better things, have a look at the light I am recommending you , you will be shocked as functionality, relaibility and priceeeeeeee

Well Marmagi... I'm very happy you've found a new brand of diving lights that suits your needs :)

I'll stick with mine (Agir, Light Monkey, Hartenberger).

I have been diving for over 25 years and a lot of dives under my belt. I am also an instructor for 15 years and have I have used many lights over the years and found that Hartenberger was a good light UNTIL YOU HAVE A PROBLEM.

As posted by Marmagi, their service is PATHETIC, they are rude and do not care about customers. I have gone through 3 chargers so far and they are $125 each. The charger keeps failing and they would not do anything for me. All they are interested in is selling me another one.

I am new on here and only signed up to let everyone know how BAD Hartenberger service is and try to warn anyone who might be interested in that brand. My sincere advise is STAY AWAY from that brand. The product might be cool but it is not good enough if they do not stand behind it.

There are many many options in the market today at the same price if not much lower with far superior service.

Good to know thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom