BDE vs St. Johns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

onejubb

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
hi everyone
I’m thinking of doing my first Liveaboard this July and am torn in deciding between the BDE and the St. John’s/Deep South itineraries.
I’m AOW with75 dives and am looking to see a mix of beautiful sites and some big animals. I would like a mix of relaxed diving with a few difficult ones thrown in. It can’t be that every site has crazy currents and difficulty level.
I’m also looking at the following boats. JP Marine for BDE and QuickShadow for St. John’s. Any one has thoughts on either of these boats?
Thanks in advance!
Aravind

did both trips back to back in Dec on MY Blue Seas, St johns is going to be a lot more coral and shallower dives. BDE is going to be more looking for bigger stuff and deeper dives to go with that, also more currents.

I dived both these routes last year, South/ St Johns on Emperor Elite in April, and BDE on JP Marine in December( well DE as more days at Daedaulus as Brothers was still closed). If you are wanting to see more sharks then BDE is the way to go. The JP marine is a no frills boat with great food, Cabins are old and dated but you cant argue with the service you receive, I would go back with them for sure. I believe the summer has a better chance for Hammerheads at Daedaulus. You cant go wrong with whatever you pick as both were great and both will do 2 dives at Elphinstone. More drift dives with better chance at sharks on BDE, more colorful corals and swim through at St Johns with less current. If you go do the south route they will likely stop at Dolphin House and snorkeling with the spinner dolphins is great. If I could only do one route however I would pick BDE. Great Dilema to have. Cheers, Kris.

did both trips back to back in Dec on MY Blue Seas, St johns is going to be a lot more coral and shallower dives. BDE is going to be more looking for bigger stuff and deeper dives to go with that, also more currents.
Thank you Pyro!

I dived both these routes last year, South/ St Johns on Emperor Elite in April, and BDE on JP Marine in December( well DE as more days at Daedaulus as Brothers was still closed). If you are wanting to see more sharks then BDE is the way to go. The JP marine is a no frills boat with great food, Cabins are old and dated but you cant argue with the service you receive, I would go back with them for sure. I believe the summer has a better chance for Hammerheads at Daedaulus. You cant go wrong with whatever you pick as both were great and both will do 2 dives at Elphinstone. More drift dives with better chance at sharks on BDE, more colorful corals and swim through at St Johns with less current. If you go do the south route they will likely stop at Dolphin House and snorkeling with the spinner dolphins is great. If I could only do one route however I would pick BDE. Great Dilema to have. Cheers, Kris.
Thanks so much Kris
Are the dives and currents in BDE really difficult and draining?

No problem at all, It all depends on your experience and confidence levels. Personally I would say no- its fine. We had a few inexperienced divers who struggled with buoyancy , but they may have struggled anywhere. If you have a good few dives under your belt and can control buoyancy there is little to worry about. The guides will pick suitable entrances to the dives depending on where the current is coming from and if its strong its a case of staying together and going with the flow. I detest having to swim into current as it rips through air- but we didn't have any of that. If you have any other questions I'm happy to share my thoughts.

No problem at all, It all depends on your experience and confidence levels. Personally I would say no- its fine. We had a few inexperienced divers who struggled with buoyancy , but they may have struggled anywhere. If you have a good few dives under your belt and can control buoyancy there is little to worry about. The guides will pick suitable entrances to the dives depending on where the current is coming from and if its strong its a case of staying together and going with the flow. I detest having to swim into current as it rips through air- but we didn't have any of that. If you have any other questions I'm happy to share my thoughts.
Thank you so much...you just helped me make up my mind...will go with BDE I think

Thank you so much...you just helped me make up my mind...will go with BDE I think
I’ve gone ahead and booked the BDE on the JP marine. I have one more question
Do they actually check your cert card? Or is it enough if they see the credentials on the PADI website. I lost mine and don’t want to pay and get a new one
My log book is up to date anyway
Cheers and thanks again

From memory I think they did check the cards- but I cant see it being an issue. The guides should have internet signal on board so should be able to check no bother. Great decision - you'll have a great time.

From memory I think they did check the cards- but I cant see it being an issue. The guides should have internet signal on board so should be able to check no bother. Great decision - you'll have a great time.
Thanks again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom