BCD repair

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hall

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have a circa '98 Vector 1000 BCD that has probably only been used on average one trip a year since buying it new. The inflator hose connection popped off as well as the the same connection on the opposite shoulder. The local dive shop said it was toast. I looked at it and nothing is torn and the BCD is in great shape. Is it possible to send it in to you to check out and either repair or pronounce DOA?

I have exactly the same BCD with the same problem. Due to its age, the male end of the inflator and dump valves crumble and brake apart. Other than that, the material is in perfect condition. My dive shop also said it was toast and I should buy a new BCD. And they had a valid argument. Its over 20 years old!

At the time, only the inflator valve male end needed replacing and the only place that has such a valve is located in Singapore. I decided to order one and if it worked great; if not then I learned something new.

Scuba-Fix – scuba solutions made easy

Suba-fix valves are excellent, better than the original. I highly recommend their product. They are a bit pricy but in the end, your BCD is good as new.

The problem is, which you have to consider and which I subsequently found out, the other two dump valves will soon fall apart. So I had to replace another two valves. I contacted scuba-fix and they gave me a discount on two additional valves which helped me decide to go with their product rather than purchase a new BCD.

Now, if I had known all three valves were going to fail before making the first valve purchase I may have gone with a new BCD. As it is, I still use my Vector 1000; its a great BCD but I am also in the market for a backplate/wing which I plan to use for doubles.

I hope my experience helps you decide what to do.

You might find this thread helpful:
Scuba Fix

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom