BCD/Regulator Cleaning Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

butterwm

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We just bought new regulators and BCD’s. We decided to go with the Atomic SS1 integrated inflator/regulator setup for backups. The place we are diving at has several cleaning tanks for equipment after coming back, The tank for the BCD’s and tank for regulators are to different tanks as they use a different cleaning solutions. Since I now own a BCD with a regulator attached you can see my confusion. My choices are to leave my setup together meaning the SS1 regulators ends up getting cleaned in the BCD solution. Not sure how detrimental that is long term. The other option is to remove the SS1 which easily unscrews and clean it separately in the regulator tank. If I use this method when I go to clean the BCD then I now have an inflator hose line wide open where the SS1 screwed in and water runs inside into the bladder. I has searched to see if I can find a cap that could screw on where the SS1 was but haven’t found anything. Would love to hear some ideas or suggestions for folks with similar setups.

Don't worry about water inside the BC. Just tip it out afterwards.

If you disconnect the inflator hose at the shoulder, pay close attention. Most BCs have a gasket or oring at the connection that is critical. Some BCs have fine threads on the shoulder connection so be careful not to crossthread them.

After you reconnect everything, fully inflate BC and check it holds air for at least 5 mins.

I suspect that the cleaning solution is just slightly less dirty water. If you are rinsing regs, it’s generally nicer to rinse them pressurised with fresh water, I would avoid communal rinsing tanks for regs or masks.

I suspect that the cleaning solution is just slightly less dirty water. If you are rinsing regs, it’s generally nicer to rinse them pressurised with fresh water, I would avoid communal rinsing tanks for regs or masks.
How so you recommend cleaning the regs unpressurized? Tanks stay on the boat so pressurized is not an option.

A Zeagle inflator threads up to the SS1 adapter. Great solution for storing BCD partially inflated while storing SS1 with regs. Also allows you to use your BCD if you have a reg failure and need to use rental regs on a trip. Rinsing Atomics under pressure can be tricky on a boat. A pony bottle will work in a rinse bucket.

A Zeagle inflator threads up to the SS1 adapter. Great solution for storing BCD partially inflated while storing SS1 with regs. Also allows you to use your BCD if you have a reg failure and need to use rental regs on a trip. Rinsing Atomics under pressure can be tricky on a boat. A pony bottle will work in a rinse bucket.
That was kind of my backup plan was to unscrew the SS1 and then replace it with the Zeagle inflator ghat came with the BC and then I can just clean it as normal and clean the SS1 with the regulator stuff. I just wish they made a screw on cap I could buy versus the stock inflator.

Pressurized is nice but it's really a bit overkill TBH. Getting the salt off and out of the regs is the key. Hopefully the rinse water is significantly less salty than the ocean but it doesn't have to be 100 percent pure.

Put the dust cap on the reg or use your thumb as a makeshift dust cap. Dunk the first stage briefly and swirl it around. Turn upside down and shake it to release any water if it's unsealed. Wipe DIN threads with a dry cloth if it's DIN.

Put the second stages in the water and keep the first stage elevated. Swirl the second stages around. Take the second stages out and shake out the water out of the second stages. Hang reg to dry in a shady spot.

Give the regs a more thorough soak when you get back from your trip.

Not understanding where the confusion is coming from. It's ok for water to get inside the regulator mouthpiece and the BCD bladder, the only place you don't want water is inside the port/opening where the low pressure hose connects to, and these regs usually come with a small rubber plug that is permanently attached to the corrugated hose with a rubber ring so it's always right there. If you don't have one, it should be easy enough to find one that fits over that port, even if it's from a different manufacturer. Iif not simply put your finger over it while you dunk and switch the BCD in whatever solution you're cleaning it with. Or you could McGiver something as simple as a small plastic bag with a rubber band around the port to keep it water tight during the rinse.

See the attached screenshot - look at that little rubber plug hanging off the corrugated hose. That's from a Seaquest BCD.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-09-04 190040.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-09-04 190040.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 18
Not understanding where the confusion is coming from. It's ok for water to get inside the regulator mouthpiece and the BCD bladder, the only place you don't want water is inside the port/opening where the low pressure hose connects to, and these regs usually come with a small rubber plug that is permanently attached to the corrugated hose with a rubber ring so it's always right there. If you don't have one, it should be easy enough to find one that fits over that port, even if it's from a different manufacturer. Iif not simply put your finger over it while you dunk and switch the BCD in whatever solution you're cleaning it with. Or you could McGiver something as simple as a small plastic bag with a rubber band around the port to keep it water tight during the rinse.

See the attached screenshot - look at that little rubber plug hanging off the corrugated hose. That's from a Seaquest BCD.
I ALWAYS run water into and out of the inflator port on that type of device, as part of my normal soaking and cleaning. I even depress the inflate button to ensure that fresh water goes through there. All those precautions you describe are unnecessary and probably counter productive to a good cleaning.

I do the same with a "normal" inflator as well, making sure I run water out of the inflate and deflate ports.

I ALWAYS run water into and out of the inflator port on that type of device, as part of my normal soaking and cleaning. I even depress the inflate button to ensure that fresh water goes through there. All those precautions you describe are unnecessary and probably counter productive to a good cleaning.
A regulator technician took apart my BCD integrated regulator and showed me how allowing water into it through the inflator port will cause long term damage. Makes perfect sense to me, doing so is no different than dropping an uncapped 2nd stage until a rinse bucket.

Back
Top Bottom