BCD recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello. I have an open water certificate and do most of my diving in New Zealand. I am thinking of buying a Ocean Design Pro 2000 BCD. Does anyone know anything about them?

Sorry, I do not (I have a Seaquest ProQD). But I have to ask - what are you basing your buying decision on, if you need to ask here?

I suggest you try many options before making a final decision. Having tried on (dry, in the shop) many BCDs, I then tried 3 different makes/models in the pool. You should be able to find a shop which will allow similar. Even with all the great product advice you'll get from fora, I would not go through such an expensive and important product choice without a trial run.

I agree with kadleck, there is nothing worse than buying a BCD only to find out later that you would be happier with a different one.

Let me second the above sentiment....there's nothing worse than jumping the gun and later realizing you would prefer something else. If at all possible, try out a jacket inflate, a back inflate, and a back plate and wing. If you do a search, you'll see the pros and cons of each type of BC. If you think there's any possibility of going into technical diving, go straight for the bp/w (and even if you're not doing any technical diving, it's still a great option).

Only think I would add is to consider travel, and weight/bulk. If you're going to be on a plane with your dive kit frequently, you might want to consider something that can be packed neatly.

Wow, what I found was BC's are really expensive new, and really cheap used. But usually people don't sell the ones they actually like.

And don't buy one size larger than what you need. If your like me and kinda between the medium and the large size, go with a medium. Having a BC thats just slightly to big is alot worse than having one that fits just right.

I'm new to the game to, and still in the process of trial and error purchasing and reselling gear to find what I like. Its sad but true that no one person can just recommend one particular BC that is good for you. Even trying them on at the dive shop wont work. You really just have to dive and dive until you figure out what you like. And whats worse is you never quite get rid of the idea that even though the one you have works, there's probably a better one for you out there somewhere.

I got an Oceanic OP 5k Bioflex Kevlar Jacket Style BC in a bulk lot purchase. Its a large, and I'm pretty sure I needed a medium. I've been on three pool dives with it. It works though. On thing I don't like is that it has a soft back. I mean I know its supposed to be more comfortable, but when your carrying it on your back outside the water, it has like no support and feels like it just hangs off my shoulders. And I don't like the type of tank strap that came on it. Its really hard to get tight enough, and seems like the tank is always sliding down. But then again these problems are when I'm not in the water. So as long as I don't have to stand around a pool for a prolonged period of time with stuff on while the instructor is demonstrating, or having to hike to a entry point prep'd I guess its ok.

I'm seriously considering maybe looking into one of many available back inflate with a rigid back type, maybe even with a carry handle. I do see how a PB/W probably isn't the way to go for an entry level diver who doesn't need its univeral modularity and configurability.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom