BCD Inflating On Its Own

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This happened to me as well. Replace the Schrader valve. It’s cheap, easy and it solved my issue.
In the hose? (Some inflator designs, such as Aqualung and Cressi, include another Schrader valve.)
I am having trouble understanding how a hose schrader valve problem could lead to a BCD inflation, since the valve is opened by and held open by the QD nipple on the inflator. It does NOT open and close during the operation of the inflator, that is a different mechanism.

Small leak (such as mine). Small bleed into the wing drove me crazy.

Note that says it is for a widely available generic inflator. You might be able to find the same kit from another vendor locally before you leave. Also, if you add a spare button assembly to your kit, you can swap it quickly in the field and then deal with a full disassembly and cleaning later.
Sadly the nearest dive shop that might carry a kit is I think 2 hours away from me right now and maybe three hours away where I'm going. I'll keep the spare button in mind, thank you

Small leak (such as mine). Small bleed into the wing drove me crazy.
Yeah, it freaked me out at first because it's never happened to me before. Where was yours leaking from? I was told that this type of problem is almost always with the inflator piece on the BCD but on this thread the more popular culprit is the LP hose

Very likely it’s your lp hose on your regs, swap hoses or remove and clean the schrader valve.
How so?

Just replace the inflator, I don’t know where in Oregon you live but coral sea scuba (grants pass) has them, get a zeagle if you want a really good one.

Had the same thing happen to my bc. It was the oring on the schrader valve in the lp hose.. Can you get it to replicate the problem out of the water?
To replace the schrader valve just go to your local auto parts store and get a schrader valve tool probably cost you about $3.. You might try swapping your lp hose if you have a spare and see if that fixes your problem. If it is the schrader valve then it should be bubbling while unhooked underwater. If your bc is inflating on its own and you unplug the quick connect on the lp hose and dosnt bubble then it's probably your inflator.

Yeah, it freaked me out at first because it's never happened to me before. Where was yours leaking from? I was told that this type of problem is almost always with the inflator piece on the BCD but on this thread the more popular culprit is the LP hose
Not the LP hose. No way to make it happen.

Had the same thing happen to my bc. It was the oring on the schrader valve in the lp hose.. Can you get it to replicate the problem out of the water?
To replace the schrader valve just go to your local auto parts store and get a schrader valve tool probably cost you about $3.. You might try swapping your lp hose if you have a spare and see if that fixes your problem. If it is the schrader valve then it should be bubbling while unhooked underwater. If your bc is inflating on its own and you unplug the quick connect on the lp hose and dosnt bubble then it's probably your inflator.
No, it is the Schrader valve in the inflator.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom