BCD for Winter Storage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vibenz

Registered
Reaction score
Considering that moisture is trapped in the BCD for months during winter storage, and the potential for mould and other growth, I will appreciate if you could share your thoughts about pre-storage treatment.

Needless to say, draining as much of the water as possible, is obvious. So is to just leave it the way is until spring (the bladder may have anti-mould treatment from the manufacturer).

Any other ideas and thoughts?

What about filling the bladder, or airing it out with dry air from spray cans - considering our exhaled breath contains a high level of moisture, as well as some bacteria and virus?

Chemical rinses?

Considering that moisture is trapped in the BCD for months during winter storage, and the potential for mould and other growth, I will appreciate if you could share your thoughts about pre-storage treatment.

Needless to say, draining as much of the water as possible, is obvious. So is to just leave it the way is until spring (the bladder may have anti-mould treatment from the manufacturer).

Any other ideas and thoughts?

What about filling the bladder, or airing it out with dry air from spray cans - considering our exhaled breath contains a high level of moisture, as well as some bacteria and virus?

Chemical rinses?
It’s not like a rebreather loop and you’re not breathing off of it. Really not a problem. If you’re worried, use Steramine or the like and let it soak inside for an hour before draining and removing OPV and corrugated hose to let moisture out

exhaled breath actually contains a LOT of moisture, it's 100% relative humidity at nearly 100*F. The only way to know that it is clean is with something like Steramine that we use for rebreathers. Can use iodine as well.
Rinse with hot water, put some steramine or comparable in there, rinse back out with hot water, Inflate from a tank ideally and let it sit

I basically dive year round (but somewhat less in winter), so my BCD has never been stored for any long time. I use baby shampoo when rinsing the inside and dump as much water as possible (of course I dump out the salt water first). It was used when I bought it in 2005. Have no idea what the inside is like, but it still works.
Since the outside is basically falling apart, I look forward to a new one next Christmas. But it still holds air. There was a small hole in it 5-6 years ago which I patched--that still holds.

Inflate drain inflate drain inflate drain over a period of days until it IS dry

Inflate drain inflate drain inflate drain over a period of days until it IS dry
Wouldn't you have to have an opening somewhere for the inside to the outside air for it to become completely dry? Even then I would guess it would take more than days, since whatever hole (inflator, quick dump) that is held open is small.

I rinse with fresh water, blow it out by connecting to a tank and maxing out my power inflator, draining the air out with the dump valve. Then take the corrugated hose off and hang BC upside down to drain any remaining water.

to TMHeimer, I wouldn't wait for your BC to fail. If it's falling apart on the outside and has already had a leak repaired, chances are it may leak badly some day when you need it most. A BC is essential life maintaining equipment, and should not be neglected. If you bought it used in 2005, it does not owe you anything today.

I live in FL, so most years don’t really need to winterize. However, life gets in the way, so sometimes my gear does sit longer than desired.

I really don’t do much different if I’m diving the next day, or months from now. Thoroughly rinse the bladder, initial rinse with water & Salt Off solution, unless diving in fresh water. Allow to hang upside down until the next day. I then allow any pooled water to get to the exit. Then I hang it up with the inflator disconnected. There might be a couple drops left in there at that point, but since it’s not sealed, hasn’t been a problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom