BCD Dump valve knob

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

XS-NRG

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey, not sure where to post this so I'll try here, anyone know where I can find a RED dump valve knob. Looking for one to replace mine on my BCD as I can never find it because of the shape and color. I found a grey one online that I may have to go with and it looks like this: http://www.apvalvesdirect.com/images/APV5A_650.jpg

Looked online and even tried a couple dive shops for replacement parts from their kits etc but no dice. Thanks.

Why have an entanglement point dangling off the wing at all? Would one of these fit your wing? They're easy to grab, even in dry gloves, and less likely to get hung up.

So the argument is that a longer cord with a knot is better than the regular cord with a plastic knob?

I can never find it because of the shape and color.

If the color and shape are critical for you, then you'll probably have to contact A.P.Valves directly (they're pretty good with customer service).

Otherwise, just pop to a habberdashery shop and spend virtually nothing on a large bead...

So the argument is that a longer cord with a knot is better than the regular cord with a plastic knob?

That argument has some merit for diving in overhead environments and confined spaces. Less so for open water.

I've caught three of the narrow Halcyon strings wearing through (they seem to be a kernmantle, so the thin core threads remain even after the sheath has worn through), but I've never seen any wear on my DSS OPV pulls. If you think the DSS cord is too long--and I think it's shorter than the standard pulls that came on my H wings--re-knotting it shorter would be simple. The shape of the DSS OPV also makes venting easier, IMO; the pyramidal shape makes pinching the cord and pushing off the OPV body easy, even in gloves. Less stress on the wing=good.

All of that is good regardless of whether you're worried about snagging the ball on the end of the scrawny OPV pull in something or not. I'm not saying if you have a ball on your OPV 'ye gonna die'...if you like the ball, knock yourself out replacing it. But if a DSS OPV will fit your wing, take a look. I like them a lot, because as far as I can tell, they're all around better.

Replace the cord with a slightly longer one, slide on a piece of PVC tubing up to the valve face and tie a knot in the end. Make sure there is little or no tension on the cord, but that it does not dangle. It sticks out where you can get a purchase on it, but does not have anything to grab line with. Just taking the knob off and tying a double knot near the valve face always had me hunting for it. I guess you could use Red tubing, I know you can buy colored parachute cord too.

Hey, not sure where to post this so I'll try here, anyone know where I can find a RED dump valve knob. Looking for one to replace mine on my BCD as I can never find it because of the shape and color.

Easy fix:

6KN97_AS01.JPG

Do note that as you go deeper RED starts to look like RED, and then RED, before too long it will eventually look like RED.

I just use the little hair band style beads. I have them on my reels too on the end of the line. Cost almost nothing, can find any color, style you want just about anywhere.

Go to your local west marine or any store that sells to sailors, they sell plastic balls with a hole in the middle in almost any bright color.

Lowes and Home Depot sell a liquid rubber dip can where you can dip tool handles and get colored rubber over them once it dries out. I bet you can dip your ball there, it will get a nice layer of rubber that will not peel off.

Back
Top Bottom