BCD comparison AL Soul vs Pearl

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cajsa

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know the difference between Aqua Lung´s women´s BCD Soul and Pearl?

Soul uses the Wrapture waist support system, same as the Axiom and Dimension. Soul is also a hybrid design, with aspects of both a jacket and a back inflation. Pearl description also says hybrid, but I think that might be a copy/paste error in the literature. I thought the Pearl was a true jacket style, but I don't have one here to look at.
Probably some other minor differences, such as metal versus plastic d-rings.

I have dived with both- my original was a Pearl and now I have the Soul i3 - Really, I don't feel there's too much of a difference although the Soul it better fitting for me and I love it, although it's not perfect it is great for me.
The hybrid design gives the best of both worlds; an ADV jacket style combined with a back inflation unit lets you to float comfortably but also creates a streamlined profile and I never struggle with buoyancy.
For me its about comfort and at only 4ft 11 I'm petite but also do have a a bust and the Soul copes well. The Soul has a shorter torso and is a little bit more cut-away around the arm openings and has slightly less side inflation than the Pearl. I don't think they do the i3 in the Pearl anymore. I wear XXS
Pockets are small - but that's to be expected with a small ladies BCD but it never rides up, never chaffs and my back never hurts even with a larger tank.

I have dived with both- my original was a Pearl and now I have the Soul i3 - Really, I don't feel there's too much of a difference although the Soul it better fitting for me and I love it, although it's not perfect it is great for me.
The hybrid design gives the best of both worlds; an ADV jacket style combined with a back inflation unit lets you to float comfortably but also creates a streamlined profile and I never struggle with buoyancy.
For me its about comfort and at only 4ft 11 I'm petite but also do have a a bust and the Soul copes well. The Soul has a shorter torso and is a little bit more cut-away around the arm openings and has slightly less side inflation than the Pearl. I don't think they do the i3 in the Pearl anymore. I wear XXS
Pockets are small - but that's to be expected with a small ladies BCD but it never rides up, never chaffs and my back never hurts even with a larger tank.
I know it's been a few years since your post, but do you think a XS/S is the way to go for a 5'1 135# ?
If you had a choice in retrospect, would have chosen the AL Soul or something else?

I know it's been a few years since your post, but do you think a XS/S is the way to go for a 5'1 135# ?
If you had a choice in retrospect, would have chosen the AL Soul or something else?
My wife is 5'2" 128lbs and has the XS/S. Seems perfect. If there's something about it she would change, she hasn't mentioned it to me. She seems very comfortable in it.

im 5"2 and 143lbs, I love my pearl, its very comfortable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom