BC vs. BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

defkonmusic

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey Everyone,

I know this may sound like a stupid question and I am a newbie so please bare with me, I have a couple questions.

I am a newly certified open water diver and would like to know everyone's thoughts on calling your buoyancy control device a BCD or a BC. On my first discovery scuba dive, one of the other divers (certified) insisted that it wasn't called a buoyancy control device but a buoyancy compensation device. Being the new guy I didn't argue and no one else was in the area to possibly correct him. Although I knew I wasn't wrong, I wasn't sure if he was right. Ive also heard them referred to as buoyancy compensator and I am assuming thats where BC comes from. Please let me know your thoughts.

P.S. I know I could just ask someone the next time I dive but I thought it might be a good topic of conversation. If there is another thread about this please let me know. When searching for BC, BCD, etc. there is a LOT to filter through.

Thanks!

You use your BC/BCD to compensate for your loss of exposure suit buoyancy when you descend and the water pressure increases. YOU control your buoyancy, through your breathing and BC/BCD (and/or drysuit) use.

Hence, it's properly called a buoyancy compensator ("BC") or bouyancy compensation device ("BCD").

I suppose a "buoyancy control device" would be your brain.

BC-most people are lazy.........BCD is for wimps....lol

I think in the early days they were called "Bouyancy Compensators" and abbreviated to BC, and then in a burst of political correctness this was changed to "Bouyancy Control Devices" and abbreviated to BCD, but nobody really noticed or cared.

I call mine a BP/W ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom