BC vs. BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now. Can we get to the IMPORTANT issue?

Is "dove" or "dived?"

I would use dived when talking about scuba. It just sounds better. Scuba dived vs. scuba dove?

oreocookie:
There are probably tons of people, none on this board hopefully, who know what SCUBA is, but have no idea what it actually stands for

Doesn't it stand for Self Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus? Actually I just learned this from someone else who posted something on another board.

I guess I just old school ..... to me a BC is a vest you wear around your neck (like a horsecoller vest, not a CO2 vest) and a BCD is a jacket that wraps around you that holds weights, has a spare-air attached and allows you to control your bouyancy at a touch of a button.

PADI Course materials seem focused on calling it a Buoyancy Control Device but in most places they normally just refer to it as a BCD. I (lazy) have always called it just BC.

Now when I teach and try to recall what BCD stands for, I often unwittingly alternate between Control and Compensation. Both somewhat accurate but probably very confusing to students!

If "Mother PADI" says "Buoyancy Control Device" then I guess I'd better get my mind right!

BC seems to work for most. If I'm writing I am more likely to use BCD.

Whatever you do however don't call your alternate second stage an octopus.

Pete

One and the same . . .

"BC" is just saying "BCD" in two syllables rather than three.

the K

probably very confusing to students!

This is the reason I asked the question. When I started learning about scuba on my discovery tour I was really intimidated. I thought I needed to memorize every term and technique to the letter. When I finished the full course and had a handful of dives under my belt I realized the important thing was to know what a BC was and how to use it, not the proper name of it.

I originally brought this topic up because of what mheaster said. It confused me as a student. Now, I am just curious of everyone's opinions on the subject.

Also, if anyone cares, I just bought my first BC. I took it into the pool yesterday and am diving with it for my first time in about a week. Its not the fanciest but its good enough for a beginner like me. (Mares Vector Origin)

Thank you all for your replys.

What about floaty thing, along with kicky things, breathy things, looky things and sinky things?

This is the reason I asked the question. When I started learning about scuba on my discovery tour I was really intimidated. I thought I needed to memorize every term and technique to the letter. When I finished the full course and had a handful of dives under my belt I realized the important thing was to know what a BC was and how to use it, not the proper name of it.

I think you nailed it. The only thing I would add is that it is always handy to know what others call something so can you respond correctly to a question or request in the real world.

And congrats on your new bc!

Whatever you do however don't call your alternate second stage an octopus.

You know, I just got a new octopus, but I can't figure out how to work it properly. . . I can't figure out which of the eight arms to breathe off of and the darned thing is always trying to wrap itself around my head! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom