BC light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bubblemonkey

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
anyone recomend a small torch to keep in the pocket of your BC for those peering into something dark moments?

thanks

Two-cell lights -- no matter what kind of batteries -- don't seem to be strong enough for daytime use.

The Ikelite PCa takes six AA batteries, but is small enough to tuck into a BC pocket all the time. It has a great beam that's strong enough to make a difference in the daytime. I bought it so that I could use rechargeables.

Problem is, I've found a tendency for apparently pressure to build up inside of it (hydrogen gas from the batteries?), which has resulted in the light popping open on me once and almost doing it a second time. The latch system doesn't look very resistant to pressure from the inside out -- I suspect it's a problem upon surfacing.

But I've now learned not to have it on continuously, but to just turn it on to peer into holes and such. And to have it along as a back-up night light.

--Marek

thanks, any idea where i might get one and roughly how much they cost?

Sure... ScubaToys has them here for $27.50, and I know they'll ship to the UK. Not sure whether or where they're available in Europe...

Hard to tell the size from the image, but the light will fit into your fist.

I used my UK Q40 for that , works great and easily went on every dive with me.

I use the Pcm Lite, uses four AA cells. It's been fine and is a good day light for nooks and crannies, plus a useful back-up at night.

I also carry a UK "eco-flare" on my left shoulder -saves me having to press my computer buttons to activate the computer backlight at night.

As a main light for night and poor viz I use a (UK I think) SL6 - bigger than the PCm lite, but you can still easily fit it into a BC pocket. It does have a relatively narrow beam, but I find it penetrates poor viz without too much glare bouncing back.

The torch is about $25 and $35 respectively, and the flare about $10 give or take a dollar. Not sure what the UK prices would be..probably the usual "pounds for dollars", or even dearer.

BC pockets vary quite a bit. I've got a scubapro knighthawk and the pockets are tiny (there is a fold down pocket, but I don't use it to reduce drag). I tried a PCa, but it didn't fit well, so I also use a Q40 (Underwater Kinetics mini Q-40 eLED plus). As noted elsewhere on the board, the "plus" came out recently, and is much brighter and has a more focused beam than the standard eLED. It uses 4-AA batteries. I can't compare the light output of this relative to the Ikelites, but I'm pretty happy with the power for its size.

cheers slingshot i will have search on the net.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom