BC for the ample Woman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ajtoady

Contributor
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A question for the women on the board, I have a friend who is getting into diving, she is fairly chesty and likes my Ranger LTD for its fit around the "girls". I was curious as to wether a Zena would work for her as well. Thanks in advance!!!

I'm pretty well-endowed. I found the jacket style BCD to be very uncomfortable and hated the squeeze after just using one twice (Discover Scuba and 1st OW pool session). I went with a BP/W (the DRIS package). So much more comfortable.

I would think that a hogarthian webbing harness would be the best option; the shoulder straps are wide apart and there's no sternum strap.

A question for the women on the board, I have a friend who is getting into diving, she is fairly chesty and likes my Ranger LTD for its fit around the "girls". I was curious as to wether a Zena would work for her as well. Thanks in advance!!!

Did you folks read the OP??? He isn't asking about a recommendation for a BC in GENERAL, he is asking about a specific brand/model, the Zeagle Zena vs. the Zeagle Ranger LTD.

Please try to be respectful and answer his VERY specific question if you have an answer based on his question and not try to ram the tiresome BP/W cult dogma down his throat. If you don't know the answer, let others who do know answer and stop trying to hijack his thread and his question (a VERY specific question).

I would think that a hogarthian webbing harness would be the best option; the shoulder straps are wide apart and there's no sternum strap.

I would second this advice, which is saying a lot because normally I'm in these threads all up in the face of the BP/W crowd and declaring them delusional and misinformed. In this case, however, it's good advice.

I'm a man so I don't have your friend's particular problem but I dive a LOT in a Hogarthian rig in a technical context where there are tanks and crap everywhere, and one of the most appealing things about it to me is that it keeps the whole front of my body clear of "stuff" while at the same time being straightforward to dive in.

It does lack pockets and integrated weights, which sucks if you're on vacation with it, but for the problem your friend is having, you'll find the Hogarthian configuration.... "liberating".

R..

Diver0001, the "problem" is, our boobs get smashed. I agree with Cuzza, if the Ranger LTD fits, go for that one.

Bratface: I'm not following. A basic harness system on a backplate is super streamlined and gives some real flexibility for placement of straps. These systems are much less likely to "smash boobs."

I am a curvy girl with an "ample chest" and LOVE my Zeagle Zena! With its modular design every woman can get a custom fit and I recommend any woman who wants a back inflate, minimalist BC try the Zena. I call it a "corset and wing" because of its design. However, the key to the Zena is not only getting the sizing right, but also adjusting it correctly on the body. Most women I've seen wear it too high on the body....the middle strap should be below the ribs, at the waist.

Whichever type your friend goes with, she should try it out first to see how it fits and feels. Not all women's BC's are created equal. Some types fit some women's body types better than others.

I am also of the bp/w camp in getting a perfect fit for any body type, no matter how voluptuous someone is. I also started with a women's bc and then switched to a bp/w later.

It does lack pockets and integrated weights, which sucks if you're on vacation with it, but for the problem your friend is having, you'll find the Hogarthian configuration.... "liberating".

Diver0001, the lack of pockets is easily resolved by simply adding slide-on pockets to the webbing at the waist. I had extra pockets on the waist belt of my women's BC which I then slid onto the harness of my bp/w. No issues.

Back
Top Bottom