BBC article about reef destruction. :(

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes we watched the full programme last night, it was absolutely horrific.

---------- Post added December 16th, 2015 at 06:49 AM ----------

Yes we watched the full programme last night, it was absolutely horrific.

I know I will never be diving in China now. Not that they were high up on my list anyway. I watched Racing Extinction a week or so ago and between that and now this I don't understand why the rest of the World doesn't stand together and MAKE them stop.

I know I will never be diving in China now. Not that they were high up on my list anyway. I watched Racing Extinction a week or so ago and between that and now this I don't understand why the rest of the World doesn't stand together and MAKE them stop.
They are NOT welcome in HK even as high spending tourists.

For the exactly same reason the world does not step in and force Saudi Arabia to grant basic rights to women e.g. allow them to drive : they have power and a lot of money.

It will be too late when they realize they cannot even live in their own land may be in this century. The wealthier is already planning to leave. Google, chinese children, lung cancer. Also watch fake food videos on youtube. Sad.

For the exactly same reason the world does not step in and force Saudi Arabia to grant basic rights to women e.g. allow them to drive : they have power and a lot of money.

True. And I guess also because if China ever called in the massive debt we owe them America would be bankrupt. Kinda gives them a huge advantage over us.

Watched the BBC news yesterday too... they are building militery base there...

The sad news is, it's quite near to one of the most beautiful island around the coral triangle near Borneo where hundreds and hundreds of hammerhead sharks go.

Check out swallow reef or Pulau Layang Layang.... it's where all the "Chinese" island located.

It's near to my country.... :-(

If you're like me, you probably try hard to never even brush against coral. You don't wear sunscreen when diving on reefs. Maybe you've even read about sustainable fishing practices. Perhaps you think if all divers were more conscious, the reefs might have enough of a chance to adapt to changing sea conditions and eventually survive.

Well, if you're anywhere near the disputed area of the South China Sea, I don't think it's going to make much of a difference:

Why are Chinese fishermen destroying coral reefs in the South China Sea? - BBC News

It's easy to criticize other cultures when we've already wringed most of the money out of our own natural resources. But there's no lack of understanding about the long-term consequences now. Same for sharks, tigers, elephants, whales, etc.

There's only one solution and Cousteau knew it. Now, which presidential candidate is pro capping-the-human-population-at-500 million. Let me see....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom