Bayahibe, any dive outfits that are open currently and allow solo dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike baz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Going in a couple weeks, after my trip to Cozumel was cancelled by my airline
Been to Punta Cana a few times, enjoyed the snorkeling, but never dove
Bayahibe seems to be the place to dive on DR, and am looking forward hopefully to this trip happening
Any info on local dive outfits that rent out tanks for solo, or even buddy dives, would be appreciated

it is interesting how different locations treat shore diving and / or solo diving.
some promote shore diving and base their businesses around it, and others refuse to rent divers tanks to explore on their own.
some could care less what you do with your tanks once you leave the shop while others would never rent you gear if you tell them you are solo diving. it is even illegal in some locations.
i have never been shore diving or solo diving in DR. and for the most part i would not encourage solo diving.
but i can tell you when i was in sosua, security would not even let us walk along the beach at night at the edge of the water. true story. they were totally paranoid some tourist would go swimming at night and drown i guess. so i can only assume they would never consider allowing any divers to head out on their own.

it is interesting how different locations treat shore diving and / or solo diving.
some promote shore diving and base their businesses around it, and others refuse to rent divers tanks to explore on their own.
some could care less what you do with your tanks once you leave the shop while others would never rent you gear if you tell them you are solo diving. it is even illegal in some locations.
i have never been shore diving or solo diving in DR. and for the most part i would not encourage solo diving.
but i can tell you when i was in sosua, security would not even let us walk along the beach at night at the edge of the water. true story. they were totally paranoid some tourist would go swimming at night and drown i guess. so i can only assume they would never consider allowing any divers to head out on their own.

I too wondered on previous trips to DR why there were guards posted on the beaches, were they expecting Aquaman to attack the hotel?
Turns out all beaches are public property and some locals are of the sticky fingered variety.
As for the allergy to solo diving, especially in shallow 10'-20'-30' water, I think it s more about keeping a monopoly on dives. Notice a lot of outfits won t rent tanks to buddies or groups either. No guide, no dive.

Update: via email coral point diving says they permit buddy dives, and will rent tanks and weights for $10

I always use and highly recommend Scuba Fun. John the owner is at the shop every morning, most of his staff are long term employee's, so they know the dive sites very well, they rinse and store gear for you. I dive solo off the boat with them but they know me well, but I don't if they would let you dive solo if you haven't dove with them before.
ScubaFun | Dive Center Bayahibe

I always use and highly recommend Scuba Fun. John the owner is at the shop every morning, most of his staff are long term employee's, so they know the dive sites very well, they rinse and store gear for you. I dive solo off the boat with them but they know me well, but I don't if they would let you dive solo if you haven't dove with them before.
ScubaFun | Dive Center Bayahibe
The owner took the time to email me, appreciated, but it s a no no for solo dives for me. Not enough experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom