Bay of Fundy shark feeding

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AfterDark

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Would you do your best to keep them out of Narragansett Bay please :)

Would you do your best to keep them out of Narragansett Bay please :)

I posted before that my theory is the water in the bay is too warm to support the seal's favorite fish food, we do however get seals up the bay near Fox island in the winter. As far has I know no seals at Fox island have been eaten. Of course that was before we had skaty8hunderd GWs off the MA coast. Who knows if a few may follow the herd to Fox island?

Not good.

I and some of my dive buddies who regularly dive North Shore theorize that we don't have much of "sharktivity" in the area due to the Gulf Stream being diverted by southern shore of NE and NY as pictured here, thus creating a vastly different ecosystem north of Cape Cod, undesirable for both seals and sharks:

Gulf Stream - Wikipedia

Looks like that theory needs to be revisited...

Not good.

I and some of my dive buddies who regularly dive North Shore theorize that we don't have much of "sharktivity" in the area due to the Gulf Stream being diverted by southern shore of NE and NY as pictured here, thus creating a vastly different ecosystem north of Cape Cod, undesirable for both seals and sharks:

Gulf Stream - Wikipedia

Looks like that theory needs to be revisited...

Yeah I think the new theory around here is if there are seals expect GWs sometime. Also seals are cold water animals and GW's can control their body heat almost as well as mammals do. Anybody got a bang stick?
All kidding aside unless you do long surface swims or do a lot of bobbing around on the surface I don't think we have much to fear.

One of my favorite sites is Green Bridge Newport, it requires a 200+ yard surface swim to get out the cove into the OW. The day I see seals on the rocks of that cove that's over, especially at night. :(

It's bad enough that picture of the tiger shark at Easton Beach Newport a few summers ago pops into my head from time to time on along surface swims!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom