Bauer purus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JOEL MCQUEEN

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
is a Bauer Purus worth rebuilding ..its pretty old and parts are expensive .???? it turns over feely but thats all i can tell with out tearing into it ..guys want 300 + for it

Depends on what’s wrong with it. It might be just fine and only needs a filter replacement. On the other hand, if any portion of the rotating assembly is bad, it’s going to be well north of $1500 in parts. Something you may already be aware of is that Bauer recommends replacing the P0 filter housing after 15 years. If the compressor isn’t all there, that’s something else entirely.

I think the Purus has stamped numbers on the flange next to the front cover. Share a pic of those numbers and we may be able to tell the age.

If the crankshaft is bad but all the parts are there, you may be able to part it out for a couple hundred $$.

thanks ..i rebuild outboards for a hobby ..so i figure what the heck ..i will use it in phillipines so need some thing good .. it turns over by hand smooth .. and it was only 150 bucks

s-l1600.jpg

of course engine has to go .. a new honda 5hp .. and i have a big set .of filters and a whip ..

Yea, it’s got some similarities to a gas motor.

I’m no expert, but in your shoes would be checking it over thoroughly before spending any money. Any metal in the oil? Are all the bearings and rings looking good. Can you still see the hone marks in the cylinders or deep scrapes? Significant carbon buildup on valves? Then will it build pressure and how much blow by? Only then invest any money in replacing or adding parts. You probably have $1000+ in parts to add IF everything you have is in good working order.

I spent $1000 on my Utilus 10 including handmade guards, and it was similar condition to yours - a bare block with the filter and coalescer. I did a 100% tear down before spending a dime.

Welcome to August Industries - August Industries Inc. is a great resource for parts. The owner is fun to talk to and willingly shares his knowledge. If you don’t see a part you need, just call.

Couldn’t resist a chance to show off my home built setup.
6D3BEA63-7E2E-49F1-AD32-91C199968EFF.jpeg

Yea, it’s got some similarities to a gas motor.

I’m no expert, but in your shoes would be checking it over thoroughly before spending any money. Any metal in the oil? Are all the bearings and rings looking good. Can you still see the hone marks in the cylinders or deep scrapes? Significant carbon buildup on valves? Then will it build pressure and how much blow by? Only then invest any money in replacing or adding parts. You probably have $1000+ in parts to add IF everything you have is in good working order.

I spent $1000 on my Utilus 10 including handmade guards, and it was similar condition to yours - a bare block with the filter and coalescer. I did a 100% tear down before spending a dime.

Welcome to August Industries - August Industries Inc. is a great resource for parts. The owner is fun to talk to and willingly shares his knowledge. If you don’t see a part you need, just call.

Couldn’t resist a chance to show off my home built setup.
View attachment 683625

so you wouldnt spend 150 on it and drive 1.3 hours one way to pick it up ..then take it apart to see how bad it is

I can’t answer that one for you. If you are up for a gamble, go for it. You could more than double your investment if it’s good. Probably I would wait around for something that looks a little better. That one’s been on flea bay for quite a while for a reason.

Might consider if it’s suitable for your purpose as well. Is it enough cfm? Is it for a vacation house or regular use - running just a few days a month will be tough on filter life.

Don’t forget you are going to have to figure out a plan for cooling. Assuming your filter and coalescer don’t have a PMV or OPV you will have to buy those, and also some plumbing in addition to pressure gauge(s). If your new motor doesn’t have the same shaft and RPM you are going to need a pulley and that’s another $50. Bauer compressors use the narrow V high speed pulleys.

Back
Top Bottom