Bauer OR Coltri!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Panstey77

Registered
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I am looking to replace the current Bauer Junior 2 (1995) with a newer, more efficient compressor. This is for a hotel, where we wish to offer guests diving including double tanks. For this, I need to be able to comfortably fill multiple tanks at the same time, quickly.

The options I am looking at are:

Bauer PE300 compact
Coltri MCH16 standard
Coltri MCH16 compact evo

All delivering 300-315 L/min

Does anyone have any advice or recommendations please...?

Thanks

Frankly all three models you quote are the poorest choice within each range, and regardless of brand these three models are directed and marketed not from an engineering maintenance and service life perspective but simply to satisfy the “how long does it take to fill my cylinder” question that comes from the unsuspecting prospective customer.

Ignoring the “fan boy” quote earlier and the car nonsense in as much Fiat also own Ferrari this is less a question of brand but more a question of application and requirement. Anymore than Bauer a company that bought out Poseidon to market your Poseidon PE model as budget basement.

But first why is the PE300 and MCH16 such poor choices? Compared to what?
The first answer is based on RPM the PE300 is the same block as the PE200 it’s only running faster

Ditto the MCH 16 block the same as the MCH13 but running at 1570 RPM as opposed to 1370 RPM

With the Poseidon PE300 running reckless just to keep up with the Coltri

Now service life repair and maintenance pricing for the Bauer spares and filters will if nothing else loose you more money as a business than the Coltri

But again this is a question of business model, of customers getting fills when they need them
And for that you need to give much more information to make an informed choice.

First. Where are you based. location
How many cylinders are you filling per day
Who will do the maintenence
Where will you get the spares from
Are you selling the air can you charge the overhead or is it free with the hotel
What is power availability like?

All this would be used to guide you into a particular brand via spares service, maintenance and nearest dealer, no point being the only Bauer pump on an Island full of Coltri.

Also what is your back up compressor plan? have you considered your back up?
Two 300 l/min same model compressors or two each 150 l/min half size that may be considered a better option.

Or consider say one 300 l/min with a small say 150 l/min for back up? All makes a huge difference to your availability and reliability to fill the hotel guests cylinders from your customers perspective.

Also what compressor (if any ) do you use at the moment? in addition to this Junior II

Great hotel, great food, wonderful diving just a pity the compressor was down the week we booked.
Socking great Bauer PE300 rattling like it was some Ferrari on race day I guess. LOL

https://www.jfdglobal.com/files/5614/6582/9395/BAK-MDS-705-R1.pdf
Mch 13/16 et standard - Aerotecnica Coltri compressors

Bauer Poseidon PE300 using the IK120-F07 Block
1800 rpm to get 300 L/min
1st stage piston diameter 88mm
2nd stage 36mm
3rd stage 14mm
Piston Stoke 40mm
RPM 1800
7.5Kw motor

Compare with PE250 same block but at 1570 RPM for 250 L/min 5.5Kw motor

........................................................................................................................

Coltri MCH 16 using the same size Block
1570 rpm to get 315 L/min
1st stage piston diameter 88mm (or 95mm)
2nd stage 36mm (or 38mm)
3rd stage 14mm
Piston Stoke 40mm
RPM 1470
5.5Kw motor

Compare that with Coltri MCH 13 same block but at 1370 RPM for 235 L/min 4Kw motor

Next to compare is motor size Kw power required and power cost

Smart guy, we have SEVERAL compressors from L&W, Bauer and Coltri, from "personal" size to mobile to the big Mama, Bauer and L&W are most reliable and most cost effective in the long term. We also have L&W and Bauer in the navy, oil & gas and other markets, same thing. It is the point where your brand coltri isn't even a consideration there at all.

Proper sizing for the job is most important in any type of job or application but have the best make and brand is most important once you do the sizing. Bauer is sooo popular and used around the world, there will be no problem with service and parts in most of the world.

And yes, Mercedes is far better and more reliable and holds its value order of magnitude more than Fiat. If you don't understand the analogy and parallelism, it shows your bias and perhaps relationship to Coltri.

We also have L&W and Bauer in the navy, oil & gas and other markets. It is the point where your brand coltri isn't even a consideration there at all.

ROFL you guys crease me up.

Which Navy dude? …………..the “merchant navy”
An L& W hard at work filling an occasional BA cylinder for fire drill practice is about as big as it gets.

And Bauer about the best they can do in the navy in some backstreet navy dockyard filling an occasional bail out cylinder for some “Jock” in a 17B.

Please keep it real and to the OP specific question and don’t quote the Navy unless your willing to offer a list of specific tasks models and navy vessels.

PS. Would you like to see my navy or Offshore list ? ROFL

Here's a short video of a running Capitano Diesel.

Thanks for the response folks..

Okay, the compressor is for a newly renovated private island in the Seychelles, offering a 5 star customer experience - maximum clients on the island at any time = 10-20, typically smaller groups.
(Seychelles is a small island archipelago off the East coast of Africa).

Seychelles is very limited in its availability for anything modern or of quality, therefore we do most of the shopping for the island in South Africa.

The aim is to offer diving from our private catamaran and small dive boat. Maximum groups of 4, plus myself and maybe a DM depending on the group. So, 2-6 tanks a dive.
We'd like to offer guests double tank dives to cater for more experienced divers and further away dive sites. Therefore, we need capacity to fill 4-12 tanks a day comfortably.

The island resort is dynamic and there aren't a lot of staff, hence the desire to fill tanks quickly and efficiently.

I will be handling the maintenance, however I have no specific training in this. There are other more mechanically minded staff on the island. Compressors with easy to use functions and simple/cheaper maintenance are ideal.

We have access to both single and 3 phase power.

Currently, the Junior 2 (fuel) is used to fill up to 6 tanks and takes 1.5 - 2 hours. It is run down and requires spares to renovate back to health. This will be our spare compressor. Although it is possible to pay another dive centre for refills if necessary.

Recommendations welcome..... but the reason I have chosen those models is based on filling time, ease of use, price and accessibility of spares/technicians if required.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom