Bauer Junior II '2014' or Bauer Utilus 3W '1994'?

Bauer junior 2 vs Bauer Utilus 3w

• Bauer Utilus 3w

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Bauer Junior 2

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello everyone!

Recently I came across two nice compressors:

A Bauer junior 2:
Build year 2014
state: like new '384 hours'
power 230 volt and
output 225 bar '3300 psi' @ 100l/m

A Bauer Utilus 3w:
Build year 1994
State: like new 'hours not mentioned'
Power 230volt and
output 225 bar '3300 psi @ 100l/m

Price: both goes out for the same pricetag of 1900 euro '2150 usd'

My motivation to get a personal compressor, is because i'm living on the edge of the world 'no filling station close by'. And because I have a large basement which allready became a half a divestore trueout the years.

The tanks I want to fill it with are 2 x bi12 and 2 x 80cuft singles each week.

Can you tell me what your weapon of choice? And why so? It would be verry helpfull to get some feedback from experienced divers or engineers, who can help me solve this long living question.

Thanks for your help!

Aäron

IMHO Of the two, it's a no brainer. The Junior II

Oh sorry I should add why:
1. Because of the age The JuniorII is 4 years old you have another what 11 years before you need to change the Triplex filter shell and separator shell. While the Utilus is already past its 15 year filter and separator life. These are high cost items.

2. The Junior II because you know the hours run and its a healthy 384 over 4 years 96 hours a year around 50 fills, one a week. While the Utilus you hav'nt a clue

3. The Junior II have I said its only 4 years old. The Utilus by contrast is 24.

4. The Junior II its a current model block. While the 24 year old Utilus well youve guessed it.

5. The Junior II will need a 500 hour spares kit, its not that expensive and pretty easy to do, The Utilus no one carries spares for that old a model block (UK anyhow)

6. The Junior II you can sell when your done to scuba, a Yacht even paintball, The Utilus you will stuggle unless you can find an out and out novice.

You need more or are we done (of the two models you mentioned) LOL

If the price, input, and output are the same then why even consider the older unit?

Do you know if the utilus is the utilus 10e (very similar to junior) or the Utilus 2 that is similar to the capitano? The 10E is basically the older version of the junior and turns about 2000 rpm with splash lubrication. The Utilus 2 like the capitano turns about 1200 rpm and has a heavier duty block with pressurized lubrication. Also, take a look at the filtration to check if its apples to apples between the machines.

That might explain why they are priced similarly with the age difference. If you need to fill cascades or lots of tanks back to back it might be worth looking at the utilus (capitano version only) a little closer. Otherwise newer is a clear choice.

Hello guys

First of all thank you for your input.
I do understand why everyone would choose for a junior 2.

however, the version of the utilus is the capitano version.
With a much lower rpm, I could benefit for the long time.
To my oppinion, its not because it is younger that it is better :eyebrow:

I look at it, like a older car with a larger engine but lower rpm.
well, mechanics says it last longer, cause te pistons don't run that hot.

I'm not saying the utilus is better, but these are my considerations of the apples to apples compairing.

I'll upload some pics so you can have a look at the Bauwer u3w

I do know the maintanance cost the two machines 'lets say 50$ oil drain and 25$ on a filter'. But hidden costs, maintanence or even problems known to the machine would make my mind clear to go for the Bauer utilus of junior 2.

Thanks!

Aäron

$_86 (1).JPG
$_86 (2).JPG
$_86 (3).JPG
$_86.JPG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom