Bauer compressor snorkle extension

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gone for diving

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a bauer utilus 10.
And have a 5ft ish intake extension snorkel for it when I use a gas motor on it.
What is weird is when the extension is on the intake sucks and blows... but with the snorkel off it only sucks....
Seems a bit weird... because I would assume that the snorkel if tuned right should increase cfm ever so slightly... and definitely not blow,,,
Just like a 2 stroke exhaust is so very important to be tuned..

I suspect the tube is a bit small for how long it is, and will be changing it... but wondering if anyone else has run across this... and what was done...
20210915_182224.jpg

for it when I use a gas motor on it

I am not sure that I am following you, are you implying that you have both, an electrical motor and a gas motor on it at the same time and switch between them?

I have a bauer utilus 10.
And have a 5ft ish intake extension snorkel for it when I use a gas motor on it.
What is weird is when the extension is on the intake sucks and blows... but with the snorkel off it only sucks....
Seems a bit weird... because I would assume that the snorkel if tuned right should increase cfm ever so slightly... and definitely not blow,,,
Just like a 2 stroke exhaust is so very important to be tuned..

I suspect the tube is a bit small for how long it is, and will be changing it... but wondering if anyone else has run across this... and what was done...
View attachment 682082
The rule of thumb for a k-15 is to increase snorkel size by 1” every 10 feet of length, so if your snorkel is 10 feet long, your snorkel should be 2”, and 20 feet long is 3”. I would say a utilus would be less than that, but I don’t have a rule of thumb for you.

I am not sure that I am following you, are you implying that you have both, an electrical motor and a gas motor on it at the same time and switch between them?
Yes sorta.

Originally these compressors had a way to swap back and forth, remove the gas eng.
Install electric in its place...for portability...

Mine was stationary... and I mod it to fit both as well...
Pull pins and its ready to be swapped
1631746931532415259250625481487.jpg

The rule of thumb for a k-15 is to increase snorkel size by 1” every 10 feet of length, so if your snorkel is 10 feet long, your snorkel should be 2”, and 20 feet long is 3”. I would say a utilus would be less than that, but I don’t have a rule of thumb for you.

Thanks I love rule of thumbs

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom